Stiff Swingarm

HawaiiFiveOh

Registered
Have a question regarding how "free or un-free" the swingarm should feel. I'm in the process of installing an extended swingarm and as it sits right now the rear wheel and the shock are both off of the bike. I followed the service manual and used the torque specs for the pivot shaft bolt and nut. Now it just seems like it takes a lot of effort to move the swingarm up and down, but I don't recall how the stock one felt. Right now, the tail of the bike is hanging in the air and the swingarm will stick straight out or at whatever angle you want it. I thought it would drop down to the ground but again, I don't remember how the stock one acted. Anybody noticed the same or different? Thoughts?

something isnt right. i would loosen it all back up, make sure it can move freely before torque and then re torque accordingly. IIRC the pivot shaft should be torqued, then pivot shaft nut, then lock nut.

something isnt right.

:laugh: I think it was this tidbit of info that set me straight.:laugh:
Turns out i missed the two spacers that are just behind the "dustcaps". Swapped them over and bam, a nice free moving swingarm. Have to say it was a newbie goof, it's the first time I've taken the swingarm off, much less put a different one back on.

glad you got it figured out. :laugh:

i just did mine for the first time not too long ago so i know what your going through. esp when you do a moly arm and things are supposed to be adjusted to tight enough :rofl:

Back