Step by Step WHEELIE

OB_CanuckBusa

Registered
Quincy, I am by no means a wheelie expert, but try the following:

1) Get a 16 tooth sprocket. Cheap and makes a big difference.
2) Experiment with wheelies when your tank is almost empty. Easier to bring up the front wheel.
3) Make sure you can shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly, while accelerating hard, with your weight shifted back. This is the part I need to work on. I am going to lower the shift lever, or reverse it, as it is feels like it is in an awkward position (too high) when I'm 'going for it'.
4) Don't let off on the throttle when the front comes up.
5) It will come up easily if you decelerate (compressing the forks) and then 'snap it' while the forks are rebounding. But you don't have to do this. It is possible to do wheelies smoothly, with very little chain 'snap'.
6) Start small, with larger and larger throttle inputs, until you know exactly when the wheel will come up. If in doubt, give more throttle.
7) If you get frustrated, stop and try again another day.
8) Learn on a friends bike, or a cheaper bike, if you can.

I have been trying to muster up enough courage to pop a decent wheelie in years. I have been riding for over 7 years so keeping the bike on the ground is not a problem. Many consider it crazy to want to learn to wheelie on a Busa... I can understand. But I really need to learn.

Can someone please tell me what gear, RPM, speed , sequence and any other thing I need to wheelie a stock 99 Busa. Everything on the bike is stock except the gas :)

So far I can kinda crank it in first and get the front end like half a foot off the ground but then I panic cos it feels so vicious and get pulled back and this forces me to give it more gas while trying to hang on. I hate that feeling that I am just hanging on and not in control of the wheelie.

Any info is appreciated since all the other guys I ride with a CHICKEN too and have no experience wheeling.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sorry I cant help direct BUT, about a year I think 'BIKE' mag brought out a two page spread on how to wheelie. Other than that good luck....

There are several ways. The slowest and safest way is to run the bike up to about 5000rpm is first gear on a nice level,concrete, deserted road that you know. At that point focus on something far down the road and roll into the throttle hard, the bike should lift off the ground gradually, stay in it for as long as your comfortable then ease off the throttle slowly, if you chop the throttle it will slam the front end down. If 5000 rpm does not work, try 6000 and snap the throttle open. The reason for all that rpm is that it gets your road speed up enough to overcome wheelspin on concrete. Just keep working at it and over time the technique will come to you. There are several other ways to snap that front end up into the air, but this is a less dangerous way. If you are not satisfied with the method or think the bike is down on power, try bolting up a 44T rear sprocket and the bike will pull a wheelie with less effort.

Tip #1: Don't fuggin' learn how to do wheelies on a Busa. Learn on something else you don't mind wadding a little.

Tip #2: When you crash and all our insurance goes up...hide. :)

The coolest wheelie I've ever seen is Gary Rothwell doing dragstrip length wheelies while sitting on his handlebars. I laughed my *** off. I've also seen him pull into a wheelie from a near stand still. Just pops the clutch and the front end comes up from a stand still. Crazy assed dude. Was riding a GSX-R 1100 when I saw him. Ask him for some advice. hehe.

I used to think wheelies were cool, until I laid my 'busa down (not doing a wheelie). Suddenly, all that "cool" stuff that puts you and bike at risk seems immature. my .02

You can just keep it on the edge of the power at 4000rpm then just snap the throttle open. It will reach for the sky very easy. No need for bouncing the shocks like on less powerfull bikes it will come up without any help. Just keep the back brake covered and ease off once the windshield hits your visor.

Sorry I was never mature and find wheelies great fun, I just make sure that the only danger is to me when I do them and no danger to anyone else.

If you do snap it to hard, just pull yourself forward and lay a little on the tank.. this way the bike can come higher, but you will still feel in control.. untill you find your "balance point" don't be afraid because you have lots of room before the weight of the engine decides to go over with you.. remember, you are the highest and furthest back item on the bike, especially your head, so when you front ent comes up 1/2 - 1 foot, you freak out and chop the throttle, which looks hilarious to other guys..
Take you time and it will come.. DON'T RUSH..

Thanks everyone. Please feel free to conitune with all the advice, both those for and against wheeling.. all is appreciated.

But I intend to go wheeling Babangido...
The minute I mature I will sell my Busa for a minivan. Just kidding I know you are just looking out for everyone on this board :)

Thanks.

Install a hairdryer(turbo) on the bike....get up to about 2nd gear and open the throttle to 3/4. Repeat the process thru the gears. The front end will come up in every gear without you trying....
regards...

check out starboyz.com and lasvegasextremes.com ---these 2 tapes have all the wheelie and breaky action --- seen them in daytona and i tell you these guys are skilled!!!! (NUTS)

Back