Stator Cover Leaking

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
Rode a few miles last night, I haven't ridden in 6 weeks due to a cast on my left arm & thumb (Broke thumb & had surgery). I am riding in a charity ride tomorrow so figured I would see how riding w/ the cast will work. Wasn't the best, but I was still riding.

I get home & my Wife notices oil dripping from the Busa. I pull the fairing & it is leaking from my Woodcraft cover. I pull the cover & gasket doesn't look bad, but that is probably where it is leaking.

Problem - Dealership does not have gasket, can I use Hondabond or something else???

I'd just get a gasket blank and cut your own. Dunno how hard it'll be to find that thin material...i usually only have to do it with thicker gaskets.

Get a gasket, put a light film of Ultra grey / or black, and reinstall. Basically just wet the surfaces. Torque 8mm's to spec. That is all. :super:

I used a thin layer of peratex on mine, and have never had any issues.

Last edited:
Ultra black works great for this stuff... Do not use typical "Silicone" based sealant (any that smell like vinegar are not good) The ammonia based sealants (ultra black, blue, red) are not sensitive to petroleum products (wont swell, go soft or melt away) but it needs to set over night to cure first..

Take the cover off and lay it on a flat surface (glass works best) and make sure it is not "tweaked" (a chunk of 400 wet/dry on the glass and some elbow grease can fix minor issues)

Gasket not torn? Like Spudley said, a thin smear on both sides and throw it back together..

IF the gasket is torn, you can leave it out, put a "THIN" (like the thickness of a CD) coat on the "clean" cover surface let it age for a few minutes (skin over) and then assemble (is how we used the product at the dealership on engine covers)

Thanks for the help. The gasket is not torn & both sides are clean where it came off.

Get a gasket, put a light film of Ultra grey / or black, and reinstall. Basically just wet the surfaces. Torque 8mm's to spec. That is all. :super:

Mine leaks too. Gotta get around to doing this. Already bought the new gasket. Just gotta find the time. :whistle: Looks good though.

Img_0336_woodcraft.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a small leak in mine too. I was thinking it was coming from the pad too. Will fix it when I do my next oil change and have the plastics off. There is very little oil that gets in the stator area, so if you want to go on the ride it is doubtful it would cause you any problem. Just make sure the busas oil is on the full mark, then fix the small leak when you are not in a hurry.:thumbsup:

This is a very thin gasket. Service Manual states a little sealer to hold the gasket.

Where you have to be careful is the install. Make sure you are lined up and keep fingers clear. Any movement to line up the bolts will tear the gasket. I used no sealer on mine other than the corners to hold gasket. I will admit the gasket provided by Woodcraft is much better.

Contact Golden Child as he stocks the gaskets.

r8

***UPDATE***

I resealed the stator cover last night & figured I may as well change the oil while the fairings were off. Ok all good, fire it up, no leaks at stator, drain plug, & filter. Wait oil is pouring out of this damn thing...SHIIIITE

The header on my Hindle exhaust had rubbed a hole in the oil line coming from the oil cooler to the engine. No Busa for the ride.

Saving grace - one of my friends let my ride his SV1000 & he rode his Wife's cruiser. It was a great day & there were about 400+ that showed for the Ride For The Troops.

I can attest that shifting gears w/ a cast on your left arm & hand sucks.

Now I am just trying to figure out how the line got up against the header, bike has never been dropped, crashed, etc.

Back