Starter removal? Anyone know how to get it off?

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Searched through all the starter threads but they're all about just problems vs. how to get the thing off.

Seems pretty simple, far as I can tell there two bolts on the backside, but how do I get to those two bolts? Anyone know how much stuff I gotta take off to get to those?

Manual shows the bolts, but not all the crap in front them, ie, radiator hoses, fuel lines, etc!

How do I reach those two bolts to remove the starter?

starter_1.jpg

Remove the seat and lift the tank! You should be able to get an eye on them then.

They are easy to get to. Lift the tank and you'll see the two bolts. 10mm hex head and/or #3 phillips.

Just remove the 2 bolts and wiggle the starter side-to-side while pulling toward the left of the bike. It will come out. There's a big o-ring that helps hold it in. It may take some force to remove it.

They are easy to get to. Lift the tank and you'll see the two bolts. 10mm hex head and/or #3 phillips.

Just remove the 2 bolts and wiggle the starter side-to-side while pulling toward the left of the bike. It will come out. There's a big o-ring that helps hold it in. It may take some force to remove it.
I did removed both panels of course and lift up the tank. The main radiator hose & vent hose goes right over the top of the starter. I can't visually see the bolts. Carb bank sits right over the top of it, plus all the head shield padding for the carbs. Lot of stuff in there.

Img_0035_starter_1.jpg

Not a lot of room, can't even get my hand in there to feel for them. Maybe removed the large radiator hose or the heat shield padding? Certainly don't want to mess with the carbs.
lurk.gif

Img_0035_starter_2.jpg

it's easy... ( do what Om's typed ..) +1
beerchug.gif
oh yah ..and 1 other thing.. REMOVE THE GROUND LEAD ..after removing the seat ! < carry on >
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

.. Nice .. and for  your next trick ...your going to the  Dentist !!
laugh.gif
..the old starter kick back ..eh ?

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Time to trade it in Tim.
whistling.gif
[/quote]

Comin up on 70,000 miles.
firedevil.gif

Stil some life in the ole girl. This was during my starter-less weekend couple day ago.
beerchug.gif

Dsc_0593_pashnit.jpg

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Time to trade it in Tim.
whistling.gif
[/quote]

Comin up on 70,000 miles.  
firedevil.gif

Stil some life in the ole girl. This was during my starter-less weekend couple day ago.  
beerchug.gif
[/quote]
I changed the starter on my 82 CBX about a year ago but it has nearly 90,000 on it. Wasn't too hard though. They are getting expensive these days, trying to find 28-29 year old parts for a bike that hasn't been manufactured in nearly 30 years!

... I swapped out the brushes .. on the starter 3 months ago .. seem'd to help.
Have you ever rebuilt a starter. Is it easy or a pain. I am good mechanically and electrically. I understand colors and all that. Have done hvac wiring also. They want like 100 for a starter. Is there anything else I should check or change? 2006 busa with 5,500

Have you ever rebuilt a starter. Is it easy or a pain. I am good mechanically and electrically. I understand colors and all that. Have done hvac wiring also. They want like 100 for a starter. Is there anything else I should check or change? 2006 busa with 5,500
Yo can click on a members name and see if they’ve been active recently. Looks like that member hasn’t logged in since 2009, so I doubt he’ll reply.

Back