starter in a free spin with out engaging..HELP WHAT DO I DO??

stkflkr

Registered
On a ride last night with a beautiful lady on back. We stopped for a rest. Went to start the bike ( 2007 busa 7000miles) and heard the starter spinning but it wasnt turning the engine over. The shop said the warrenty is expired..Anyone else have this problem?? If so can someone help me on how to fix it?? Should I automatically assume i need a new starter?? This site rocks and has helped me out so much already in the past...but I need you now...So what gives??

On a ride last night with a beautiful lady on back. We stopped for a rest. Went to start the bike ( 2007 busa 7000miles) and heard the starter spinning but it wasnt turning the engine over. The shop said the warrenty is expired..Anyone else have this problem?? If so can someone help me on how to fix it?? Should I automatically assume i need a new starter?? This site rocks and has helped me out so much already in the past...but I need you now...So what gives??
starter clutch mechanism bad?? ...pull the starter out to see if it actually spins...may be making noise and not spinning...

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad starter...pull it out and check the gears and drive.

ok update: We pulled the starter and everything looks good. my buddy (my mechanic) said the gears inside the case are spinning freely as well. Not a good sign says he..So now he is charging the battery and re-installing the starter just to be sure. If not , then he is crackin the case to see whats going on in there. Cross your firngers everyone. Here in oregon the summer will be gone soon. I need my baby up and running.

Now this also leads me to another question. Is it possible to push start this bike with the fuel injection?? If so how the hell do you do it.

When the starter failed on me last night in the middle of the ride, we tried to push start it and had no luck. Im thinking its not possible but dont know for sure.

Last edited:
I have all parts to repair it in stock lmk I'm in portland in process of moving shop from boring...lmk

you will need help to push start it...but it will fire...

where you located?

I have all parts to repair it in stock lmk I'm in portland in process of moving shop from boring...lmk

you will need help to push start it...but it will fire...

where you located?

Golden helped me with this very same problem, he overnited me the parts to fix it and i had it fixed in about 30 minutes after the parts arrived. He walked me through it over the phone step by step and I was able to fix it myself!!

:beerchug: :bowdown: :beerchug: :thumbsup: :cheerleader:

Golden helped me with this very same problem, he overnited me the parts to fix it and i had it fixed in about 30 minutes after the parts arrived. He walked me through it over the phone step by step and I was able to fix it myself!!

:beerchug: :bowdown: :beerchug: :thumbsup: :cheerleader:

:beerchug:

Starter clutch-I just had the same thing happen last year.

Well it turns out that all it was, was a slip ring fell off the clutch gears thus causing a free spin without engaging. So he just tapped it back on and now all is good. My lady and I took it out tonight fir a shirt spin through the local twisties. I appreciate everyone's advice and comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumbsup: good to hear it's back and running. you might want to buy your buddy some beer for that fix cause you know the "stealership" would of bled you dry!

:thumbsup: good to hear it's back and running. you might want to buy your buddy some beer for that fix cause you know the "stealership" would of bled you dry!

Yep all ready in the plan. My girlfriend is an excellent cook and we have invited him over for some fried chicken. He doesnt drink but i'm sure i'll have plenty of his favorite mt.dew. being a single dad i'm sure a good home cooked meal is well worth the half hour it took to fix. But your right i'm sure a dealership would have soaked me for at least $300.

Well it turns out that all it was, was a slip ring fell off the clutch gears thus causing a free spin without engaging. So he just tapped it back on and now all is good. My lady and I took it out tonight fir a shirt spin through the local twisties. I appreciate everyone's advice and comments.
Posted via Mobile Device

what slip ring where is it located

Back