Sprockets change - help needed please

Can anyone help me with this one....

I want to lower the gearing but dont want to start messing around with having to break the chain. Ive already fitted a 16 tooth to the front and want to do further. I was wondering if i could get away with reducing the front to 15 and upping the rear wheel a couple of teeth and keep the same chain size?

What are my possible options?

Any help would be most apreciated..thanks

Don't drop to a 15.... way too much stress. Why do you want to use the stock chain? It is not a great thing in the first place. I would get go back to 17 on the front, increase the rear and replace your chain.

Not what you wanted to hear...

mm1 - "having to break the chain" That's kind of a catch 22! If your gearing the bike and racing the bike then your going to break the stock chain. Which if you've ever had a chain break is a very very bad thing! My buddy has a 99' and 00' and broke his chain on both of them. I guess after breaking the cases and doing $2k worth of damage to the 99' he didn't learn. I threw my stock chain in the garbage after 92 miles. Just my .02

WARBIRD - I'm using the Tsubuski HQR which I wouldn't really recomend for many people. It's a high maintenance chain, non o-ring, it's also a very heavy chain. Some of my buddies running their 8second shootout bikes use this chain because it's strong as hell. I guess we need to take a pull and find out what the strongest, best, lightest O-Ring chain would be.

MM1- I have the 16T front and 42T rear all done with the stock chain. So far I have not had any problems. I still have plenty of adjustment left too.

Jonas - I'm running 16-42 also but your brave trying it on a stock chain. Suzuki will not cover that under warranty if it breaks and cracks your cases. Once it breaks it usually causes $2k or more in damage. Not to mention besides the 2 my friend did I know of about 8 other busas who have broke their chain and cracked their cases. Good Luck.

Back