Sportbike electronics compared to cars?

cruzinZ

Registered
CPU on GenII hayabusa's vs modern cars. I know many of you guys on here are very knowledgeable. How advance are the bikes electronics compared to modern sport cars? Also if you could include other sportbikes such as the GSXR, R6/R1, ZX6R & 10R?

Motorcycle ECU's are very different than automobile units. They do manage
a/f mixtuer, timing, baro, etc. From there they are different. I know my truck ECU manages abs, door locks, warnings and a large list of other operations.

CPU on GenII hayabusa's vs modern cars. I know many of you guys on here are very knowledgeable. How advance are the bikes electronics compared to modern sport cars? Also if you could include other sportbikes such as the GSXR, R6/R1, ZX6R & 10R?

It's no comparison. If you want to compare the best of the best from both worlds, then you would be comparing the Hayabusa with a Ferrari or a Lamborghini... Those two exotics have a lot more electronics than the Hayabusa could dream of....but does it matter when you are looking at them in the rear view mirror? lol

I would say they are probably very close in quality and technology but the bikes electronics are more durable.
I would not spray water on the dash of my car or it's electronics but I regularly wash the bike and all the switches on bars as well as dash get wet.
Also ride the bike or park it in the rain thus exposing the dash to water and moisture .
No cars electronics I know could stand that kinda of life .

car electronics are waaay more advanced. A bike is say 12k a car is say 30k which one do you think gets more money put into the ECU.

Just look at the computing power between the two. A car ecu blows the fairings off a bike ecu. :laugh:

gotta agree with commuta, my dad is a powertrain engineer, and the depth at which auto ecu stuff is at imo far surpasses bike stuff, but they have a lot more things/variables to tune and worry about.

The bike ecus I have seen are more like car ecus from early 90's without the need for all sorts of emission control devices. The lates bikes now have built it functionality to support CAN/OBD type protocols.

What would be the background for this question ?

car electronics are waaay more advanced. A bike is say 12k a car is say 30k which one do you think gets more money put into the ECU.

Just look at the computing power between the two. A car ecu blows the fairings off a bike ecu. :laugh:

You think they are more advanced or just capable of more function ?
If you bought a 500 dollar dell comp and compare it to a 2000 dollar one of course the 2k one would be better and have more capability but would not the technology incorporated into it be the same ?

I am a powertrain calibration engineer for one of the big 3.

It's not even a contest. Bikes aren't in the same leauge. The only benefit to the bike stuff is the code is very simple, so it can be executed at a very fast rate, and won't lock the ECU up at 15,000 rpm.

I'm not a powertrain engineer, but having used things like LT1 edit years ago. Having seen what when into the GM ecms in 1993 to 1996 I can say they were well ahead of the carbureted GSXRs of the time. Even by todays bike standards my old 1995 F-Body ECM was advanced.

And since it lives under the hood, yes it's very water proof and shock proof.

Back