Splitfires anyone?

OB_bruce

Registered
Your right of course I should no better as I am an Electronics engineer just thought they were a good idea at the time.
You will be pleased to know I have binned them and replaced them with 0.8mm gapped NGK Rs tightened to 8lbs/ft which feels a bit slack to me,found two loose plugs,like not even hand tight, do you think this could be responsable for the elusive stumble/stutter as it seems to have gone again running as sweet as nut no pun intended.

[This message has been edited by bruce (edited 14 August 2000).]

Yep. Loose plugs.

well, well. Thats a turn up!!

I torqued down tighter, but not overly tight, just hand tight, feel right tight if you know what I mean!!!

Nuts

Go 1/2 turn after manually seating plug. The manual is wrong on the torque figure; I removed the plugs with my hands when I read some posts about it at 200 miles on the clock. It would take a lot more than 1/2 turn to damage the threads on the head. I put new plugs and that's where the 1/2 turn after seating works.

Think it was Bruce that mentioned using them on some thread here, but maybe there's others as well?

Don't wanna scare any of you using them, but I've experienced 1 engine destroyed by Splitfires myself and don't wish that onto anyone!

With the amount of horror-stories related to Splitfires failing I'd warmly suggest to anyone using them to change to a normal brand like NGK or Denso a.s.a.p..

Most Splitfire trouble cases (mine included) were related to ground-electrode (or parts of it) coming off and wreaking havoc inside engine.
Story on Splitfire is that they buy normal plugs from another manufacturer and replace ground-electrode with their "forked" (or Y-shaped) version and this would indeed explain the problems many people have had with them?

Just don't wanna see anyone run into trouble with them without having been warned.

BTW, their lifetime-guarantee on the Platinum versions only applies to the plugs and means nothing for your destroyed engine!

Hi Animal I will wipe them out as soon as possible Numb Nuts has suggested opening up the plug gap to .3 so might try this at the same time with new NGKs.

Bruce, I put my gap at 31 thou inch

make sure they are torqued down properly!!

Nuts ;)

(I've heard horror stories of these splitfires too.......)and anyway, what good will it do?? spark travels 1 route only, thats the path of least resistance. not 2 different paths. my 2cents!)

Autolites....#4302.....try them you`ll like em...1.39 at Advance....beats 5 bucks a plug and are far better than a ngk........

use a little anti-seige each time you replace your spark plugs, and spray a little furniture polish on your plug caps for easy installation. Splitfire is just a nationally advertised gimmick. Extra dough for no more go. Notice the price is down to ordinary levels now. If you've never had a problem with a NGK plug, why switch?

[This message has been edited by JRBusa (edited 14 August 2000).]

Back