Spies comfirmed for Donnington

Good luck Ben
beerchug.gif

Hope he does well. I'd love to see a competitive American rider this year--Colin has been riding well, Nicky is usually in 8th-12th position, and Hopkins is riding a POS.

I wonder how the yoshumura suzuki compares to the ritiz suzuki beside cc limit?
Spies said, after testing the GSV-R last year, that the power delivery is a bit softer than the Yosh. A bit more chassis flex, not as stiff, and way easier to ride because of the electronics. He still feels that the superbikes are more of an impressive monster, but the GSV-R handles worlds better than the yosh bike, and without effort.

Spies said, after testing the GSV-R last year, that the power delivery is a bit softer than the Yosh. A bit more chassis flex, not as stiff, and way easier to ride because of the electronics. He still feels that the superbikes are more of an impressive monster, but the GSV-R handles worlds better than the yosh bike, and without effort.
The Yosh superbike doesn't even compare to the MotoGP rizla bike.

The MotoGP bikes is way way way faster. Check out last year's Laguna Seca lap times.

A MotoGP bike has better corner speed than a 600 and as much if not more power than a yosh superbike.

The MotoGP bikes is way way way faster.  Check out last year's Laguna Seca lap times.

A MotoGP bike has better corner speed than a 600 and as much if not more power than a yosh superbike.
Spies didn't refer to overall hp. He was referring to power delivery. He stated that although the bike has a little more hp than his Yosh bike, you wouldn't even notice because all of the electronics 'soften' it up so that it's easily manageable and easier to pull off fast laps without any effort. Spies says he has to wrestle and muscle his Superbike just to get it to speed.

@ 2:53, he discusses some of the differences between the GP bike and Superbike. I'll try and look for the print interview after his GSVR experience last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

The MotoGP bikes is way way way faster. Check out last year's Laguna Seca lap times.

Spies didn't refer to overall hp. He was referring to power delivery. He stated that although the bike has a little more hp than his Yosh bike, you wouldn't even notice because all of the electronics 'soften' it up so that it's easily manageable and easier to pull off fast laps without any effort. Spies says he has to wrestle and muscle his Superbike just to get it to speed.
Another reason the MotoGP bike is faster. More power, more useable power, more everything
cool.gif

The MotoGP bikes is way way way faster.  Check out last year's Laguna Seca lap times.

Spies didn't refer to overall hp. He was referring to power delivery. He stated that although the bike has a little more hp than his Yosh bike, you wouldn't even notice because  all of the electronics 'soften' it up so that it's easily manageable and easier to pull off fast laps without any effort. Spies says he has to wrestle and muscle his Superbike just to get it to speed.
Another reason the MotoGP bike is faster.  More power, more useable power, more everything    
cool.gif
I agree..

and...

it must be super official that Spies is going to ride if motogp dot com posted this:

DUH!! Celtic already posted the link. I'm slow...
deadhorse.gif

Spies filling in for Loris Caparossi]

Ben Spies set a record in 2007, 1'23.105 for pole on super soft "race" tires.
Couldn't find a fastest race lap in 2007. Though I found an article saying Ben strung together some 24s to pull away from Matt.
Couldn't find a Top Speed at Laguna Seca for a AMA Superbike.

2007 Alex Barros set the fastest top speed in MotoGP 160mph.

2007 Casey Stoner fastest lap during the race was a 1'22.542.

2007 Dani Pedrosa on qualifying tires set a 1'22.292.

Ben Spies set a record in 2007, 1'23.105 for pole on super soft "race" tires.
Couldn't find a fastest race lap in 2007.  Though I found an article saying Ben strung together some 24s to pull away from Matt.
Couldn't find a Top Speed at Laguna Seca for a AMA Superbike.

2007 Alex Barros set the fastest top speed in MotoGP 160mph.

2007 Casey Stoner fastest lap during the race was a 1'22.542.

2007 Dani Pedrosa on qualifying tires set a 1'22.292.
I think Spies could hit high 22's on motogp equipment @ Laguna. he's pretty gnarly at that track. However, seeing how Pedro, Stoner, and Rossi are riding, I can see one of those 3 besting the 22.2

Wow, that's 1.1 seconds difference each lap
wowold.gif
I didn't think it'd be that much!

28 laps X 1.1 sec = 30.8 seconds back in a race.

So a Yosh Superbike is as fast as a Kawi MotoGP bike!
firedevil.gif

I reckon he could mix it up a bit. I'd like to see him do well. Pity it's on a Suzuki. Remember what Troy did in the last race of 2006 on the Ducati. Left them all for dead. Roll on Donnington.....
beerchug.gif

Spies is the real deal whatever he rides. I have enjoyed seeing him battle Matt Mladin in AMA Superbike. He will be missed in the states but HELLO MOTOGP
lurk.gif

Give em hell 'Elbowz' !

Back