Speedo question

ralnsplder

Registered
Just out of curiosity, I have heard that the speedo is not accurate the faser you go and that you either need a speedo healer or a yellow box to correct it. My question is, why is it not accurate from the factory? why should we have to pay for additional items for the bike to be accurate? I am not understanding how they can produce these and not even bother to tell people that their speedo's are off. It really seems like this would fall under a defect and suzuki should fix their problem. why nother putting speedos on them if they are not correct? that like putting a fuel gauge on there that always reads full.

How can you build the fastest production bike and not even put a correct speed reading on it? this make no sense to me.

It's not just Suzuki that have the problem its all of them, Cars also have the problem of being a few mph/kph off. Idon't know what the problem is but I do know that they have them. I guess motorcycle riders are so concerned about it is because they want to know exactly how fast they have been. I guess it a bragging factor...

well from what I have read on this site, it isn't just a few MPH I think I have seen that it is about 10 off at 70MPH. that is alot, not just a few. I just don't understand if someone can make a speedo healer to work, why can't they do that when they make the bike/car? I mean $12000 then another $100 just to know how fast you are going.

I doubt its off 10 mph at 70 mph. Most of the time they use a percentage i think, but could be wrong. Imagine how much more time and money it take to calibrate every speedo coming out the factory. That just give them a reason to raise the prices of the vehicle.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099396247 -->

5.6 miles per hour of at 70mph
8 mph off at 100
16 mph of at 200mph
8% off overall with stock gearing
19/41 gearing will be right on.
16/40 gearing will be off 11%

Mine was off 7.2% (the error was very linear across the speed range). SpeedoHealer fixed things up nicely. As stated in several replys to this post, the problem is common across all Japanese motorcycles. Obviously, these firms have the engineering skills to make an accurate speedo. So why don't they . . .? I'm told (and I believe) that it's an issue of legal liability. We happen to live in the most litigious country on earth. Everybody sues everyone for every reason. By setting the speedo to read fast, the manufacturers avoid the lawsuits that would surely arise if someone were in an accident and could demonstrate that the speedo under-portrayed the rate of speed. The error is legal padding the manufacturers provide to themselves. It's a shame, but that's what we get when we allow the trial lawyers to have free reign. Were I one of the manufacturers, I would probably do the same.

mine is about 10% off
mad.gif

Back