Sooo...I'm lookin at chainsaws. Thoughts?

Take a look at Dolmar/Makita. Makita bought Dolmar years ago. They are a well built saw for the money. If Poulan and Echo are your only choices, I would go echo. Also, its a bar and chain, not a blade. Chainsaws are categorized by displacement, not bar length.

Stihl. I've never regretted buying a quality piece of work equipment. The initial price stings a bit, but having it work just like it's supposed to every time I ask it to is worth it!

I have a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" bar and an inexpensive Poulan. When you have both to compare running side by side you understand where that extra cost is invested.

Which ever way you go, good luck with yours. We've been hacking on a HUGE Hickory tree this year that will keep us in firewood for probably 2 yrs.

Yeah...quality is always good, but that initial sting is the one that makes it rough. I'm trying to justify it, though. ??? It's a toss up...unfortunately. A $400 chain saw that will be used maybe 3 times a year vs. a $400+ Arai helmet that looks sweet and that will be going with me on every ride. ???

Aarrrg...decisions! :banghead:

personally, i love my Stihl 029 but it's a bit out of the price range and overkill for what you need...for yard pruning and the occasional small tree, i would look at a Husqvarna along the lines of this click linky but i wouldn't recommend it for cutting down 36" trees...with you living in the middle of the ocean, your #1 priority may be ensuring there is someone who is capable of working on whatever brand upon which you decide

Hmm...interesting link. That would probably be the route I would take...the price is a little higher, but it's not too far out of budget. And yeah, the biggest problem is having someone service it...they're passing out free barrels here. :(

Stihl or Husq are the only chainsaws I use. I had to borrow a friends Poulan Pro (didn't have my saws at my new house at the time) to cut up some fallen branches that came down during the tornados a couple years ago and it was a real pain in the azz. It didn't want to start and when it did start, it struggled going through some of the branches. they are cheap for a reason.

So it seems that the overwhelming response here is Stihl or Husky. Ah well...at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Reconditioned is not my favorite route, but at least it's another option.

Servicing, however, is still on square one. :(

The latest consumer reports actually has an article on chain saws this month. I love the noise results...it's a chain saw, it's going to be loud!

20130905_102754_zps5670dbb0.jpg

:lol: Haha...really? Noise? They're worried about noise? Of course it's gonna make noise...sheesh.

I have a craftsman, it's ok for light to med. duty work. If you want a really good saw, stihl

Hmm...yes, craftsman is another I was looking at. Until I saw it being referred to as "Crapsman". ??? Sigh...

I agree 100%. My Husq rancher is a great saw. My poulan seems like a toy compared to the Hausq.

I wish I could part with my cash that easily. I mean, I love quality, but it's like buying an S7 and you live 3000 miles away from nearest track. :(

I would, however, buy a nice Shoei or Arai much more easily, though. :D

Save your money get a Stihl you won't be sorry. I learned years ago cheap tools cost you more in the long run.

Ah...you are most correct. They will cost you more. I'm just having trouble spending half a grand on a chainsaw that will used sparingly. Now if I was in the business of clearing land, then yeah, no problem...I'd snatch it in a heartbeat.

But $400+ for very minimal use? I'm trying to convince myself.

Take a look at Dolmar/Makita. Makita bought Dolmar years ago. They are a well built saw for the money. If Poulan and Echo are your only choices, I would go echo. Also, its a bar and chain, not a blade. Chainsaws are categorized by displacement, not bar length.

Good advice on the Makita...I'll take a look into it, thanks.

Also...niggles. You know what I'm trying to say, chain saw police. ;)

Around here we do allot of sawing (clearing & firewood), Husky or Stihl pro saws are the goto for the heavy lifting, very good all around saws around 72cc. but can be heavy for little jobs (brush, limbs, smokehouse wood). My buddy bought a "keychain saw" it is a Echo & he loves it, gets allot of use. He runs an XP like I do. The little arborist saws are light and convenient for little jobs. The XP Husky would set you back around 700$ or better. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/husqvarna-chainsaws-xp-saws/ Last for years

Stihl, I have had mine 22 years, 028 Woodboss. never gave a bit of trouble. spend the money one time and never haft to buy another one. I use mine like you said you would use yours, will probably be here running when I am gone. Great saws. Also bought a Stihl weed eater the same year, FS 81, still running strong.

Most of the stuff I see on the craigslist here are Echos, Poulans. Not much else. :(

Lol guess why, most people don't get rid of a good saw. Keep looking on CL, Ill look down here too if you want me to. Dont cheap out on your saw its a waste of money if you do. Husq or Stihl and your good, just make sure you get a large motor so you can use larger bars if you need too. Its really not that complicated. How much do you want to spend?

Around here we do allot of sawing (clearing & firewood), Husky or Stihl pro saws are the goto for the heavy lifting, very good all around saws around 72cc. but can be heavy for little jobs (brush, limbs, smokehouse wood). My buddy bought a "keychain saw" it is a Echo & he loves it, gets allot of use. He runs an XP like I do. The little arborist saws are light and convenient for little jobs. The XP Husky would set you back around 700$ or better. XP® Chainsaw | Husqvarna | Professional Last for years

$700? Whooo mama...that's a decent amount of scratch. Sounds like one heck of a saw! Maybe one of those arborist saws would be nice. ???

Stihl, I have had mine 22 years, 028 Woodboss. never gave a bit of trouble. spend the money one time and never haft to buy another one. I use mine like you said you would use yours, will probably be here running when I am gone. Great saws. Also bought a Stihl weed eater the same year, FS 81, still running strong.

Yep...sounds like the husky and the stihls will be around for a bit. Shoot...a good bushcutter is next on my list. Over here, the preference for bushcutters is Shindaiwa. Dangit...that's like another $500-700. By the time I'm done with tools, I would have spent enough to buy another busa! Lol...

Lol guess why, most people don't get rid of a good saw. Keep looking on CL, Ill look down here too if you want me to. Dont cheap out on your saw its a waste of money if you do. Husq or Stihl and your good, just make sure you get a large motor so you can use larger bars if you need too. Its really not that complicated. How much do you want to spend?

Heheh...yup, you're absolutely right. Thanks for the offer...i'll let ya know. Getting a saw is the first half...the next would be shipping it out here. Gotta love being out in the middle of nowhere.

Back