Somebody messed with his bike.

batchot

Registered
This is my 1st post although I'd been lurking around for quite some time now. Here's a story I thought I'd share with you guys. A co-worker rode his new R6 (so new there is no license plate yet) to Idyllwild (Highway 243, Sothern California). The ff is my co-worker's e-mail to me: "FYI. My rear axle popped out during my ride on Saturday! Truly a scarey situation. Luckily I was going slow around a turn and was able to stop before laying it down or completely losing my bike tire. The dealership has the bike now and has a lot of questions to answer. I'm extremely lucky to be here. If it happened when I was going at a high rate of speed......done!" The ff is his 2nd email:
"I have some disturbing news. It's been determined that somebody removed the bolt from my axle while I was eating lunch in Idywild. There would have been more damage to the surrounding area if the bolt had time to work itself loose. All the evidence points to the removal of the bolt just before I started my ride after lunch. I've already called the Sheriff in Idywild and reported it but he said not much they can do on their end except to keep an eye open. He did ask me if I noticed any gang members (Harley riders) while I was up there that have been causing some problems but he hadn't heard of anything like this.

So, always check your bike. You never know what idiot may come by and mess with your bike, especially Harley riders that don't like us!" His third e-mail: "They (the dealership) are going to fix the axle. But, some cosmetic damage occurred to the front forks during the tow which nobody wants to pay for now. AND Yamaha is balking on paying for my $525 tow fee! It's turning into a big mess now".
So fellas, keep your eyes open when you're out there.

He is lucky indeed. I feel sorry for him coz we both have been excited about our new rides. I have a three month old '05 red/black Busa. His excitement factor is still way up there and then something like this happens.

That's a real bummer! Thanks for sharing with us! Definitely something to look for when checking your bike prior to riding off!

Welcome to the board and I am glad your friend was indeed travelling slow. Unfortunately you have to be a lot more careful now adays. Thanks for the info.
sad.gif

Don't ya think that the dealer and the manufacturer would do anything possible to deny responsability? Harley people would just kick it over if that was their disposition.

Something smells fishy on this one. Maybe he adjusted the chain and didn't do it right and doesn't want to admit he messed up, too embarassed.

No, I'm sure he hasn't done anything to it. The bike is weeks old and my buddy is not the tinker type of guy.

If you or someone would have saw the person removing the bolt,would it then be attempted murder?
rock.gif

Ok so they just happened to have the correct size socket that removes the axle nut and took the time to pull the cotter pin and remove the nut? Doesn't sound like a random act of sabotage to me. Either A: someone had it in for specifically him or B: the stealership forgot to put the cotter pin when they set the bike up and it took a few weeks for everything to loosen up and fall apart. Things that make you go HMMMMMMMM? Glad he's ok.

Either way, my co-worker is screwed. He and I feel it's the bike. BUT, it doesn't matter now coz it's hard to pin the liability to anybody now but himself. He's double screwed with the towing fee and the damages to his front forks that occured during the towing. Anyway, whose to blame, I don't know. What really happened, nobody knows. BUT, this story is well worth sharing with everyone because this is one hell of a lesson.

oh hell no somebody would be paying for any and all damages, the towing company is liable for any and all damages during transit, the dealership should take care the axel delema just because of warranty even if they say the are not at fault(warranty is warranty) his insurance should cover towing charges as well if he has full coverage.

That's really bad!
evil.gif

I suppose everyone should do a pre ride check just to be safe, though it shouldn't include detectin sabotage!

Back