SoCal Busa Crashes in the SNOW!!!

OB_ROR

Registered
It was raining in LA, but at 6,000 feet up on Angeles Crest Highway, where a few hardy souls completed the traditional New Year's Eve morning ride to the rustic Newcomb's Ranch restaurant, the rain turned to snow.

It was funny at first. We all laughed about it. I got out my camera and grabbed some shots of my black Hayabusa with snow settling into the nooks and crannies of the tank bag and fairing.

But we also hurried to get our wet riding gear back on and start down the hill before the road got slick.

Too late! It was just wet in front of the restaurant, but beginning about 100 yards down the road, the snow was sticking and we picked our way carefully downhill in wet snow up to an inch deep.

We were six riders, among a larger loose-knit group of riders that rallies around the LABiker.org site. We made it four or five miles, when rounding a medium tight, well-banked turn at about 20 mph, the 2nd bike, a ZX7, lost it, swerved one way, then the other and then was on his side sliding into the uphill traffic lane. I was about 50 feet behind him, tried to brake and the next instant was on the ground. Same for the Kawi Concourse and Suz SV650 trailing me.

Nobody was hurt (although now several hours later, my wrist hurts). One by one we got the bikes back up and over to the shoulder. Fortunately the cage behind us got stopped and stayed there, blinkers flashing to warn oncoming cars. Two fast uphill cars merely dodged the downed ZX7 by driving onto the shoulder without seeming to slow.

The Busa has a cracked and badly scratched right fairing panel, a scratched Two Brothers can and a scratched bar end. The mirror folded in and seems to have suffered no damage, nor did the windscreen or nose fairing or either brake lever.

The ZX7 front brake lever broke off, and fairing was scratched. The Concourse, which fell to the left, lost its hard luggage on that side and some cosmetic damage. The SV650 suffered badly bent bars, but was rideable.

After gathering our wits we took off again, more slowly, but hadn't gone more than a mile before two bikes went down - the Concourse again, breaking off its left footpeg, bracket and all, and a Triumph Speed Triple that escaped the first time. It lost a turn signal and bent the gear shift into an initially inoperable position. This time I got the Busa stopped upright, albeit with a fair amount of skidding.

We were still in the snow and it was still snowing and if we could have called a tow truck we would have. But we couldn't and eventally got the bikes down the next half mile out of the snow and finished a wet but otherwise uneventful ride.

And I was on my way to work. I thought I'd play a little hooky and take the long way in to the office this morning, figuring I'd be here about noon. It was 3pm. instead. I've got all my gear laid out trying to get it dry for the ride home.

Oh, by the way, Happy New Year everybody.

Glad no one was hurt,yes looks like the rain is coming into Northern California also clouds are in the skies this afternoon.I was on our roof patching and fixing any possible leaks that might occur when the rain starts.It went from a one hour job to all day job and I kept looking down at my Hayabusa and was wondering if my wife would know if I went for a short ride instead of fixing the roof.I stayed on the roof and got down at 4:45 to log on the site to see what was up.Anyways Happy New Years to all and ride safe Next year.

Now go out and drink a couple Golden Busa's and kill the pain.

Sorry to hear that man, 2000 has to be better.

Happy New Year!

Go figure, it hasn't rained in like three or four months and it picked today of all days to end the drought. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortunes... that truly sucks. I hope your wrist feels better!

Believe it or not it was 65 degrees today here in sunny NC...and I was out with my wife buying her a new car and didn`t get to ride...now that sucks...sorry to hear of your crash..if you need parts these guys sell at cost + 20%....Ron Ayers Motorsports....800 888 3084....it suppose to be nice again tommorrow and I`m going riding I hope.....

Been there and done that before ; love the crest but seen many of my buds go down including me at over 100. My prayers and heart goes out to all those whom now have brusied egos./and bikes.

May 2000 be much more better.

CbxChris, that 65 degrees sure was nice today on the way in to work. Actually got a little warm under the jacket, but will need it on the ride home late tonight.
ROR, glad you all are OK. That's alot more fun with a group of dirtbikes. That happened to us years ago in the mountains when we suddenly hit a snow storm at the top of the mountain, but on the trail; scratching and wrecking in the dirt was part of the fun, but I hate it when anybody gets a scratch on their street-baby. $$$

You were lucky only paint damage,
you must think of what could had happen!!
The rest is just money ,glad your own bodyparts are alrigt ,I myself had the same damage after a stupid crash so I kmow how you feel,but the hayabusa you can replace a new "ROR "not!
Hope it helps a little!!haha

take care and NEX YEAR WILL BE BETTER [I hope]

jan :)

What a way to end the century. Glad you guys didn’t get hurt. Think about how many time you’ll get to tell this story in the next century. It might have been worth a little scratched paint and cracked plastic. Ride safe and keep the Busa off the slopes.

Bummer to hear about a spill. ROR, who else was along? The ZX-7 wasn't GoBig, was it? I know Turbo Rick, Waltman and the guys were talking about meeting at Newcombs Ranch today. I thought I might make it, but ended up working 9 hours today. Holiday? What's that?

Don't worry about it. If you get on, sooner or later you're gonna get off, that's the way it is. As long as nobody got hurt, the rest is pretty easy to deal with.

ROR,
Sorry to hear about your crashes. We all wussed out when it started raining really hard here- Clay and i got soaked to the bone in LA-Hope your wrist is ok-
Working on stuff for the LAbusas.org upgrade on Sunday-
Please E-mail me any digital pictures you have from today for the site-

ducmanic@ix.netcom.com
ducmanic

ROR, sorry to hear about your spill. I woke up today, saw a lousy, cold and rainy day and called Duc to cancel the trip to the Crest. Instead we got together, Duc, Clay and myself and had Thai lunch to say good bye to 1999. Happy New Year and fix that baby soon.

I know it sucks now, but that is one Manly F****** story that you will be able to tell for years!

Good luck with the repairs, bumps and bruises.

Sorry to hear about the spill. That took some cajones to work your way through the snow. Glad to sounds like no one is sporting broken body parts on this one . . . would be nice if the wallets could claim the same. Ugh.

ROR, what the HELL were you thinkin? Newcomb's is basically a no-go after Thanksgiving, much less New Years. Duhhhhh... Sounds like a real clusterf**k!
Oh well, sorry to hear it anyway. Have a good one and stick to the surface streets til Feb or March.

ps. It's 88 right now here in N. Thailand..
heeheheee.....

ROR, now that you too have crashed in the snow, we're going to have to form an elite group and give it a name.

The Hayabogganers? The BusaFlakes?

Sorry to hear about the spill ROR
I was about half way up to Newcombs when I turned around it started looking real bad up there. I got home and it was sunny but cold.

Turbo Rick

Back