Shouldn't Be Long Now!

RedBusarider

Registered
I broke my leg on May 20th and have been recovering from 2 surgeries.

At my second visit to the surgeon I asked how long he thought it would be before I could ride a motorcycle again, He said 8 months.:banghead:
I told him that my opinion was that when I could hold the bike up for 2 minutes (as that is what I thought
I might have to do at a traffic light etc.) that was when I felt I could ride again. He didn't say anything to that.

Well today I held my Busa up for 5 minutes with the broken left leg, which is healing up. :banana:

So I don't think it will be to long before I can/will ride again. Granted the first ride might be around the block
which is about 12 miles. Then get longer each ride after that if all goes well.

I just can't wait much longer as I want to ride this SUMMER which is going by very fast and my Busa
was taken out of the house the day before my accident so it hasn't been run this year. I did get the oil and filter changed last week so it's almost ready to go. Want to lube the chain and check tire pressures, then ride it. :race:

Anyone else broken a leg? If so, how long was it before you rode again?

Just be careful . No need to rush . Although I was riding two weeks in @ 22 years old with a broken leg / crutches strapped to back of my 1982 yamaha maxium 650 . Just had a close friend get hurt at work December 2015 broke ankles , and lower back . He thought in April he could do it . Car took him out with a broken scapula , and increased down time .

Just be careful . No need to rush . Although I was riding two weeks in @ 22 years old with a broken leg / crutches strapped to back of my 1982 yamaha maxium 650 . Just had a close friend get hurt at work December 2015 broke ankles , and lower back . He thought in April he could do it . Car took him out with a broken scapula , and increased down time .

Two weeks after my last surgery I was still non weight bearing and still had my stitches in.
Today is 11 weeks out - and I can get by with a cane for most anything I want to do.

Yup - anything is possible - and an accident would be a very bad day.
A Short ride is all I have planned for the first ride, then a little longer with each ride after that.
Shifting should strengthen my leg some - right? :race:

a resistance band or towel will make your leg stronger as well . just be safe buddy :)

Man Carl just posted on the cog also, so sorry to hear.
Both of us has missed trip this year, there is always next year! Its only 12 month away!
Get well soon

Well I went for a ride. Boy did that feel GOOD. Went about 33 miles.

Well at least I didn't have to wait 8 months to ride like my Dr. thought I would have to.
Everyone is different and I doubt that he knows what it means to be a true Motorcyclist. JMO.

Been raining here, so maybe next week I will get another ride in.

I use a stationary bike without a problem other than starting out slow and then ramping up to 50 - 60 RPM.
Have done some leg extensions with about one third of the weight I did before the accident.
So it's getting stronger little by little. I've been in a pool lately and standing on the broken leg I can feel that ankle is a little weaker then the other leg's ankle.
I'm wearing a compression sock that I ordered in a higher compression to try and get the last bit of swelling down. I figure I'm about 80-85% back to normal size wise.

I figure I'm about a month (or hopefully less) away from free walking any distance. I still use an electric cart in the grocery store. Looking forward to NOT having to do that.
I did take the crutches out of the car the other day as I feel good enough to get to a store's door using my cane and then to an electric cart.

With any luck I'm going to ride to my next PT appointment. :race:

Thanks for the well wishes.

Went for another ride today. Looking like rain for my next PT appointment so I took advantage of today's nice weather.

Hopefully in a few more weeks I will feel even more like back to normal and can go for longer rides and even get off the bike
and walk to where ever I want to go. Not quite there yet but like the title of this post - it shouldn't be long now.
Then again I know it might be a year or more before the bones are healed up stronger then they were before they were broken. Time will tell.

With any luck I will make Eureka and HITH's next year. :thumbsup:

Back