Should I be concerned about the temperature?

wpg2rch

Donating Member
Registered
Hey everyone,

I rode into work this morning and found it kinda chilly out there. When I got to work I noticed I was the only bike there. When I got to my office I checked the weather and saw that it was 21 degrees outside. Currently at lunchtime it has warmed up to 29 degrees. I won't be going home till 6:30 PMish. Should I be concerned about the Busa starting at the end of the day? Should I run out there and just start it up for a while? Would that help? What do you all think?

Thanks,
G.

Hey everyone,

I rode into work this morning and found it kinda chilly out there. When I got to work I noticed I was the only bike there. When I got to my office I checked the weather and saw that it was 21 degrees outside. Currently at lunchtime it has warmed up to 29 degrees. I won't be going home till 6:30 PMish. Should I be concerned about the Busa starting at the end of the day? Should I run out there and just start it up for a while? Would that help? What do you all think?

Thanks,
G.

You got balls riding in 21 deg. weather my friend. I would just make sure the bike is warmed up before taking off.

battery should be fine. Be careful of the roads/tires. With temps that low deer seem to want to spread out. other than that enjoy your ride. I also rode in this morning. a wam 34 here in N.C. :laugh:

battery should be fine. Be careful of the roads/tires. With temps that low deer seem to want to spread out. other than that enjoy your ride. I also rode in this morning. a wam 34 here in N.C. :laugh:
tires absolutely... is the reason I park when it hits the 40's .. I would let the bike warm a bit while you rethink this "riding" thing... :laugh:

I definitely let the bike warm up before heading out. I need to pay closer attention to the forecast in the morning (or the night before).
I will be more careful, I just want to make sure I can start her and get home tonight. :please:

You won't have a problem with starting, just keeping your body warm especially your hands. Be careful starting out as othrs have said until your tires get warm.

You won't have a problem with starting, just keeping your body warm especially your hands. Be careful starting out as othrs have said until your tires get warm.

I just ran out to check it and it started fine. Cranked a bit slower than usual and for many 2 seconds longer, but no problems. Am now comfortable it will start after work.
Will be careful with the tires on the way home.
Thanks for the heads up everyone!
G.

weather is one concern...but I think the real concern if I was in Minnesota would be sasquatch. Food's not as abundant this time of year...keep your eyes peeled and ride safe:thumbsup:

This message was brought to you by RASY
Riders Against Sasquatch and Yetis

Also, watch for black ice, especially on shady parts of the road.

I'd park it at below freezing if I were you.

--Wag--

You won't have a problem starting it. You may want to invest in some Dual star grip heaters for weather like this, though.

Oxford makes a set of removable grip heaters that I am looking at getting soon, or maybe some of those Tourmaster gloves...

Yup, I saw a couple deer within the first 10min. I was out. Be careful.:please:

how long does it take until the tires are sufficiently warmed up?:bowdown:
at that temp? probably never... the pavement will keep them cold I bet.. I know when it hits the 40's my bike never hooks up hard no matter how far I ride it..

21!!!!!????!!!!! :shock:

Wow! I thought I was pushing it today as I'll be riding home in the mid-thirties. I'm sure you'll be able to start the bike, but for me, I avoid any riding that involves 35 degrees or less. They've come up with plenty of ways to keep the rider warm, but they still haven't figured out how to keep ice from forming on the roads or how to get the tires up to a reasonably sticky temp.

Best of luck!

Be careful out there. I have ridden in the hi 20's quite a bit, no problems other than as stated tires and the ends of my fingers. Stay safe, and enjoy. Then a good hot shower when you get home, then a beer, or beverage of choice...

Let the bike idle a minute or 2 and then keep the rpm's low until the temp guage rises a bit....no worries.

Key idea is allowing time for the bike to pump oil up to the head and cams....once its there the bike suffers no more damage idling at low rpm's or actually under load.

All I can say is all of you guys are tougher than me. Maybe it's my age but i can't stand the cold weather. 49 here and i drove my truck. I know, my wife says it to, calls me wimp. When riding becomes a chore instead of a pleasure, (may be misspelled but tried 3 times) it may take the fun out. I'll ride tomorrow because i have to get a fence charger about 25 miles from home and i'll take the bike.

Back