shortmeg v. alien head

mcneece

Registered
installed an alien head on a gen2 last night, loved the way it sounded so i guess its time to break down and throw one on my gen1.

i am awaiting a response from brocks, but in the meantime, i'll look for some feedback here.

from the limited pictures ive run across, i think i like the look of the shortmeg more so than the ovalized alien head. are there any performance or clearance issues with the shortmeg? are the dimensions of the two cans similar, with the obvious circular v. oval shape?

No issues here. I wish I had gone with the Black Alien Head, but I love my Shortmeg.

100_0933 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i have narrowed my questions down to 2:

-any right hand turn clearance issues with the shortmeg on a gen1
-seems like the alien head has more upward sweep on the gen1 than the gen2. having never seen the alien head installed on a gen1 in person, i like the angle of it on the gen2. is the angle difference between the two that drastic?

Brock just emailed me back. i love these guys! the short answer he gave me was that the two systems are identical with the following exceptions:

the alien head baffle is rivetted in place, whereas the shortmeg is removable and the shortmeg has a tiny bit more baffle packing, so some people report deeper tones from the shortmeg.

other than that, the systems are identical other than the fact that they squished the alien head can to give it the alien head look and to increase corning clearance which i dont think is going to be an issue....

I'm lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front and have had no clearance issues even taking the "chicken strips" down to 1/4" at the Dragon. I love the sound and prefer the looks over the Alien Head, IMHO.

013.jpg

I'm lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front and have had no clearance issues even taking the "chicken strips" down to 1/4" at the Dragon. I love the sound and prefer the looks over the Alien Head, IMHO.

that beast looks mean!

thanks guys. i think i have pretty much made up my mind to go with the shortmeg. schnitz is waiting on my triple tree to arrive before they ship my order, but i figure mid-next week i should have the bike lowered and if i can find time, go ahead and give the rear fender a trim.

I went with the shortmeg. When talking to brock on the 2 pipes he recomended the shortmeg for me cause of the slightly larger outlet that will flow better with my motor setup, but header wise they are the same.

Your ride is beautiful sir :bowdown:

Back