Shark Fin/Toe protector

bigoltool

Registered
I have been looking at these for a while now, and since I got time on my hands due to the lockdowns here, I started modelling several different iterations of a Shark Fin/toe protector for my Busa. Not really in love with any of these designs so far, but the smaller shape of the last one (Currently Mk7) seems to look better with the sprocket/swingarm area of the Busa in general. I will probably print one of these in the next few days since I haven’t really used my 3D printer in anger in quite a while now. Would like to make one out of Carbon Fiber at some point just to match my CF Hugger.

Anyone had any experience with these in General? There are a few commercially available ones out there, but again nothing really blowing my skirt up. Input always appreciated!
SHARK FINS ALL.JPG
SHARK FIN MK7.JPG

Printed the one shown above today at lowest resolution and 100% infill, and it actually turned out pretty good. Had a bit of stringing just because I chose not to print any support material for the cutouts, and the printer does its best to "print in mid air", actually turned out better than I thought it would. I have a few more things to tweak before I print and paint the final version, and I need to figure out the best way to get the M5 Rivet nuts into the underside of the swingarm. This is how I am staying sane while under house arrest!
IMG_20200329_163749.jpg
MVIMG_20200329_165747.jpg

The coolest thing about 3D printing (for me anyways) is the design freedom. You can literally print things that would be impossible to tool up for say injection molding or die casting. That and the rapid iteration of designs. On small parts I can print a part in in PLA in under 30 minutes and if it doesn't work you toss it in the recycling and take another swing at it.

Back