Selling the Busa - What can I expect?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Yes, it's a sad day, but I have come to realize that I love owning the bike more than I love riding it. My life is just not suited for enjoying it, and every day I keep it is just another drain on the pocket book.

2008 Orange/Black
Chrome Triple Tree
Lowered
McCoy Exotic Chrome Kickstand
Yoshimura RS-3 complete system
Uninstalled Alarm System (Scorpio)
Tail Light Blackouts
LED Tailight
HID lamps
Chrom Chain Guard
Custom Seat "Cover only"
And the most embarassing fact.................only 3000 miles.

I have a local dealer that has stated over the phone that they would give me $7500 without any knowledge of the aftermarket equipment. I can consign it for 10% at another dealer. To sell it out right would be a chore since it's financed through Sheffield and they have no way to do a local buyer-to-buyer transfer. And frankly I don't have the cash to pay it off prior to sale.

Any help would be appreciated. :beerchug:

I sure hate to see that happen. Your bike is gorgeous, one owner with solid maintenance records and care. I wouldn't ask less than $10 for that bike and expect to get it....mite take a little while but someone will want it.

Don't leave the board I enjoy your inciteful commentary.:thumbsup:

hate to see you sell her, im sure you will sell it fast with 3k in miles somebody is gonna get a good deal, i would say you could fetch 9500 for her...be sure to stay around the org after the sale:thumbsup:

Thank guys, I'll be sure to stick around regardless. :)

Any thoughts about selling it to an individual? Would a private buyer be willing to wait for the title? Any services that would guarantee both parties?

Last edited:
I have a local dealer that has stated over the phone that they would give me $7500 without any knowledge of the aftermarket equipment.

I just bet they did.

Put her up for sale locally, You may have to wait a little while being this time of year but someone will come around and offer more than the dealer did.

Bought my '08 for $8300 with around $2500 in upgrades (here in California where prices are much higher). Not sure what the market is like in your area (craigslist, cycletrader, completed listings on ebay might give you references). Best of luck selling.

P.S. I bought a bike before with a LIEN still on it. I insisted that I go with the seller to his bank so I can personally witness him paying off the loan. The BILL OF SALE we drafted also had verbage in it stipulating that seller will transfer title to me after he gets it from his bank.

Last edited:
Sad day indeed Vondy. I can't say as I don't understand your decision. Unfortunately I've been sharing the same sentiments recently myself :down:

I think a serious & trustworthy buyer would be willing to wait the short period for the title.

If I was local, I'd wait for the title, provided you gave me the bike and a notorized bill of sale, and maybe even let me talk to the bank holding the loan to verify payoff.

I came close to bying a bike in very similar circumstances about 2 months ago. There should be no trouble. You can get the title in 5-7 days, usually. Not a big deal to wait.

If I was local, I'd wait for the title, provided you gave me the bike and a notorized bill of sale, and maybe even let me talk to the bank holding the loan to verify payoff.

I came close to bying a bike in very similar circumstances about 2 months ago. There should be no trouble. You can get the title in 5-7 days, usually. Not a big deal to wait.

+1 on the title stuff.

Not sure you'll get $10k for it, not to say its not worth it, but its still a buyers market. Id say try to sell it locally and hold out till you get a fair price for it. Best of luck with the sale.

Its not worth crap all that extra stuff hurts it and the milage is way way too high, I tell ya what I'll give you $1,000 for it straight up :laugh:

My honest opinion, I don't know what its worth, but if its not hurting the pocket too bad at the end of the month and your not in a rush to sell it price it high and say best offer, then just hold out till you get what you want. If your wanting to sell it quick, you can find someone to give you 7500 for it probably pretty easy, the dealer wouldn't offer it unless they knew they could get more. I say ask 10k and wait for someone to offer 9,000 to 9500. JMO

Last edited:
Defenetly lil higher, I would try to sell it to a person since you can get more money for it and leave dealer as last resource. Im sure you and the buyer can deal with the lien, he can wait for the title, go with you to bank or some other arrangment. Good luck with sale in todays economy things are rough.

The right person should be willing to wait for the title .
Most sorry to see you sell the bike .
Any chance of selling the wife and keeping the Busa ?
Ok I'm joking , I'm joking :)

Put it eBay and say it has lien on it .
That way anyone who bids or buys will already know about it .

i just sold my gsxr1000 to a guy. it still had a lien on it from hsbc, and it took 2 wks for them to release the lien to the dmv then i went to the dmv and paid to get the title that day instead of waiting for the dmv to send it too me which would have taken another week. the guy was cool with it he didnt seem to mind waiting on it, but he did get a pretty good deal on it.

i waited for a title. i had a good vibe and the price on the bike was fantastic so i trusted him.

a lot of people ask $9500+ for gen2's but i'm not so sure they get it. i see the prices slowly come down and i've seen a lot of nice, low mileage ones for $8500. that's houston though, and there's lots to pick from.

Sorry to hear about you wanting to sell that beauty....I think that had you just ridden the thing, I mean as an everyday mode of transport, you'd see the practicallity of owning it.

Chances are that you'll regret the decision later. I've kept mine stock for so long and really haven't regretted spending the extra money, altho putting an exhaust system on it is closer to becoming a reality. Frankly, I'd reconsider were I you, unless financial reasons are also a factor.

Remember this tho...."Don't love anything that can't love you back". Good luck! :;):

Put it back to as close to stock as possible, sell the aftermarket parts, sell the bike to the dealer for 7500 or squeeze a little more out of him. 7500 plus the parts= 8000?

10K is a nice dream. If you consign it and get 9000 you lose 900 in commission, net 8100.

Is selling it to a private party worth a couple hundred more? Dealing with the title/pay off and the low ballers/looky lews etc.

Good luck with the sale. I wanted an orange one, but got mine brand new as a leftover for cheaper than I could've bought used..

Back