Selling a used truck (odometer issue) help please

4HSMEN

Registered
Anyone out here ever sell a car before with a broken odometer?
My daughter has a 95 Ford Explorer she needs to sell in Alabama. The odometer broke a year ago (Speedo still works) shop wants over $600 to fix.
QUESTION: How does she go about selling it? She doesn't want to spend any money on fixing it. (I would fix it but she has no time with school etc. Her call.)
Will there be a title problem. How does she sell it legally.
I'm trying to find out what I can to help her.
Thanks for any info

I'm not sure but as long as she discloses that the mileage is unknown there shouldn't be a problem.

Yep, most titles have a box on the back for incorrect mileage. Check that box and disclose it on the "bill of sale" and you are good... :thumbsup:

Hard to believe they want $600 to fix a '95 Explorer odometer... ???

Do a little research to see if it is something simple to fix it. On my 94 accord all I had to do was press the maintenance required button, I felt like an idiot because I drove it for a year without it working lol.

In MD a "AS IS" gets you out of a lot of things... but like others said on the title put unknown mileage. Crazy Rays junk yard would get a instrument cluster for less then 100 bucks.

don't know about Alabama but Mississippi had a box on the back of the form like Got-Busa? mentioned when i lived there...i bought and sold several bikes that didn't even have odometers...i imagine the forms would be very similar

In Oklahoma you dont have to report mileage if its over 100k and we have the check box too if unknown.

Titles here in FL(Pasco County) can have the mileage marked as exempt. They shouldn't give you to much trouble on such an 15yr old car.

Here in Fl as long as it's not showing less mileage than the last time the title was transfered they couldn't care less

go to f150 forums, this has always been and ongoing issue with fords, the fix is pretty simple and all it takes is a bit of soldering to the contact on the back of the cluster. I had to fix the one in one of my mustangs and it was a easy. she can get more mullah if everything works.. sometimes you have to spend a little to get close to what you want/

Back