Screwy speedo

Curt

Registered
my speedometer is a lil messed up.

first of all its off by about 10-20km/h reading lower than actual speed. i know this because when driving on a 4 lane road where most cars travel at 60km/h or so, i'm riding at 50km/h and i'm moving faster than they are.

also, problem #2 is that when i hit pretty big bumps, the speedo jumps along with it, the bigger the jump, the more the speedo jumps. at speed, every little bump causes the speedo to hop around insanely.

is this a common problem? is there an easy fix?

Not common, but I have heard of it happening. Check your connections. Is it under warrentY?

nope, its a 99, i'm the third owner
a friend told me that coming down hard from wheelying could mess it up.
i don't wheelie and the guy i bought it from didn't even rev the bike past 4 grand. the first owner i really don't know how he rode it. the second owner said the speedo was messed when he got it.

The speedo sensor has 4 tabs on it, check it to see that all
tabs are intact, I have seen a tab become cracked and ont broken off this may be the cause of your problem, this is
also usally associated with the speedo needle bouncing at
90-100 mph. In addition a change in the primary sprocket
size can also affect accuracy check the sprocket for
the factory size.

.....Is never over 4,000 rpm The same as never Raced or
Laid down?
smile.gif
lol
aktion033.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td> (JoeAce @ July 04 2002, 08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The speedo sensor has 4 tabs on it, check it to see that all
tabs are intact, I have seen a tab become cracked and ont broken off this may be the cause of your problem, this is
also usally associated with the speedo needle bouncing at
90-100 mph. In addition a change in the primary sprocket
size can also affect accuracy check the sprocket for
the factory size.

.....Is never over 4,000 rpm The same as never Raced or
Laid down?  
smile.gif
 lol  
aktion033.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
where are these tabs located?

and under 4000 rpm means that buddy was afraid of real power, he drove it like a scooter
tounge.gif
(he's actually a macho weightlifer friend of mine, such a #####
tounge.gif
)

tounge.gif

take off your left skin, and look where your front sprocket goes
there is a black cover with 4 crome bolts, 1st you must move the overflow tank (anti freez) just 2 screws on the frame, then remove the 4 crome bolts, also follow the the kick stand wire up the bike and unplug it,the other wire plug is your speed sencor un plug that also, then your ready to pull off the sprocket cover, you may need to tug with some force, but don't worry there are no seals or anything, when you get it off you'll see a allen head screw this would be your spedo impeller, should have 4 little wings on it,not much to it, from start to finish should be 1hours worth of work, if your

good ,it'll take 1 half hour to check the whole thing

Also these are the same steps to change your front sproket to a 16, Wheelie up!!!

take off your left skin, and look where your front sprocket goes
there is a black cover with 4 crome bolts, 1st you must move the overflow tank (anti freez) just 2 screws on the frame, then remove the 4 crome bolts, also follow the the kick stand wire up the bike and unplug it,the other wire plug is your speed sencor un plug that also, then your ready to pull off the sprocket cover, you may need to tug with some force, but don't worry there are no seals or anything, when you get it off you'll see a allen head screw this would be your spedo impeller, should have 4 little wings on it,not much to it,  from start to finish should be 1hours worth of work, if your

good ,it'll take 1 half hour to check the whole thing

Also these are the same steps to change your front sproket to a 16,   Wheelie up!!!
ernaehrung004.gif

what am i looking for with the speedo thingy? damage or something?

and i already have a 16 on
smile.gif

nope, its a 99, i'm the third owner
a friend told me that coming down hard from wheelying could mess it up.
i don't wheelie and the guy i bought it from didn't even rev the bike past 4 grand. the first owner i really don't know how he rode it. the second owner said the speedo was messed when he got it.
Wheelie all the time never had any problems.

found the prob, one of the tabs on the impeller was broken off, ordered the part, should be in today
smile.gif

tnx again

Back