Loose bolts in speed sensor case cover

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I don't know how common the problem is, but today my speedo quit working. Before it quit, I noticed that the needle was jumping up and down maybe 1/8th inch instead of holding smoothly on a speed as usual. Before I got home from my ride it had completely died.

I posted about my problem in the General forum and Juggler suggested that I check the case cover that the speed sensor attaches to. I checked it and found that *ALL* of the bolts to the cover were loose. One was about to fall out! So, I snatched the fairing for proper access to all the bolts and basically re-installed the speed sensor case cover. The speedo is working fine now.

If yer speedo is jumpin, or if it quits workin, check the bolts I have highlighted in the photo below. Heck, if you have the fairing off for other stuff you might as well check them for tightness anyway. Someone posted in another thread that they had heard that this is common on Suzuki bikes. Can't comfirm that but it was the case on mine. ;)

Just thought I'd share the fix to my problem in case someone else runs into it. :cool:

speedsensorrepairhighlt.jpg

Oh yeah, cache posted in my other thread sayin' that the cover I tightened also serves as the front sprocket cover and holds the clutch slave cylinder in place. He said that if it gets loose enough or comes off, you can't use the clutch. I noticed at the end of my ride today that the clutch was grabbin' way early in the lever travel compared to what it usually does. I guess it was just about loose enough to where the clutch wouldn't work!

I'da been pissed if I had lost the clutch because of this on my Cheaha ride last week!!!  :mad:

Back