SCHNITZ CLUTCH MOD REPORT

Sorry Dirty Pete, wrong Ted.

Be cautious of used Hayabusa in southern NH for sale. It is now running a special mystery oil additive.

i bet...if we look around some past post, we could probably figure out who is who on this subject....

would i try to make the clutch mod myself?

yes...but only if i had the resources to make it right each time i screwed it up.

would i take it back to the dealership after i found out i f*cked it up?

no, that would be like having a job and going to the government and asking for food stamps.

are you sure this guy doesn't own a honda?

Well, here is one for your amusement. It seem s that a board member who will remain nameless decided to take this clutch mod into his own hands. The bikes clutch was welded and put back together then rode for a few miles, when the bike made strange sounds he brought it back to the dealer for warranty repair of the *bad clutch*. It just so happened that day the regional Suzuki rep was in the shop, the bike when opened up revealed all sorts of metal pieces floating about in the engine case.

Results:

"ElCheapo" who didn't want to pay the price of a profesionally modified part, now owns a $11,000 1999 new Hayabusa that Suzuki does NOT have any responsibity to repair. A new motor which has to be torn down and cleaned of debris from the backyard clutch-mod.

There is more to fireing up the welder and drinking a beer when you mod your bike, the companies that offer parts stand behind them as well, so if the cost is too much just finish off your six pack while you rebuild your new bikes motor from your backyard mods.

Score:

"ELCheapo" = motor tear down and rebuild, loss of warranty. And faced with the reality of going to a profesional to rebuild a brand new motor.

Suzuki = Loss of a stupid customer, who will bash Suzuki for not standing behind their product. Maybe "ElCheapo" will buy a ZX12r now.

Schnitz/Davidson = Nothing lost, Schnitz is the cheapest place to buy parts anyway and Davidson will continue to offer a well made product. ("ElCheapo" now has to pay for a core charge, since his OEM parts are JUNK)

The story is true the name has been with held to protect the "cheap". And you had the nerve to bitch to the service manager about $75.00 to teardown and examine YOUR F___ UP, go buy a ZX12r! :)

Jeez you really should release his name so you can really humiliate him!!! Then maybe we can get his home address and throw rocks at his house and laugh at him. It is not like any one else here has done something stupid then acted like an ass.

Look who is mad at Suzuki, some guy Ted from New Hampshire.

Check out the post he started, but failed to tell all of the story.

Maybe he will buy a ZX12 and wreck another great bike(yes I did say that).

It is like guns/bikes, it not the gun or the bike it is the idiot behind the trigger/spanner.

KawAbuser,you should run for Congress,I found someone that understands that tools/guns/what ever don't harm someone but other stupid humans do.Thank God.

To Pete, thanks for the clutch info, I have saved it to disk.

Suzuki have known about the back-torque limiter wear, since the TLS in fact. It WAS supposed to be fixed for the TLR...

Even now, there is a new part number for the back-torque limiter, and new springs part number (the same as you have in the 'Busa - the pink stripe springs).

But, it will go again. I don't think the 'Busa quite has the back torque of the TLR motor (please don't flame me if you have ridden both and I am wrong!)...

Anyway, shimming the back torque limiter is a new one on me. I will discuss it with the TLR racer guys. I have also followed with interest this "welding the back torque limiter up" subject. Some TLR racers will want to hear about that too. You guys are great.

kawabuser, as i said before i bought the part and still have the stock one here at home. the point i was trying to make is this quote from susuki usa reg. rep "your whole warranty is is void due to the hear say of drag racing from one or more of the techs at the dealer. no warranty on elect., frame, forks, etc.... im not elcheapo as you would like to say if it was something i did i wouldn't have taken it to the dealer in the first place. heres a one bit of new info regaurding this matter, the waterpump has to be replaced also druing the teardown it was found that it is bound up. not from pieces of the oil pump gear either. is it at all possabilty that when it bound up that it stressed the gear? i guess we will never know. this wasnt ment as a pissing contest but, rather to find out info about the stock busa with about 100mi this happened to. i may have been wrong for not putting all details on my original post but it was meant to get info on the other person.

Ted honestly go to motor vehicle dept, they do have something to say about warranty. Really a lot of people are doing things to change their bike to suit there needs. It is possible that mine is not exactly stock, but that did not stop the dealership from retrofitting the new parts to cure the cut out. I also realise you were asking if others had these problems you found with your oilpump gears. That is the same effort I took with Suzuki to get my bike fixed. No harm intended I just stick up for people that help me and I have known to be concerned about getting problems resolved. I am sorry for you that you had this experiance, but it is not SKY that screwed things up. I hope you can understand that as well. If you brought your bike to a differant dealership the rep. would have went to look at your bike no matter where it is and the outcome may well have been the same. Since you have your motor on the operating table you may take a trip to Harry's Machined Parts, RT 9 west Northboro Mass. (508)366-1455 Rick Stetson is a great Suzuki Surgeon and winter is setting in around us. If you have to spend money you may as well do it right with a Great Surgeon.

You just should have put the oem clutch in before..................

It is all about how you treat people Kawabuser. I was thinking your first few posts about Ted and his situation were gonna leave you with bad Karma. Bad Karma happens.

Ted you also need to Call the New Hampshire State Attorney Generals office of consumer protection. They will give you all your rights as a consumer.

Do not answer me either the clown filter is on!!!!!!

TooBad it is all in how you treat people and being truthful is the first part(just ask Bill Clinton). And there is a certain skill in how you present things as well, that is why if you stand in a room and talk to ten people and after asked them what they heard you may get a very wide range of opinions. And you should prepare yourself for that. The truth is allways just that the truth and never differant, put a spin on the story and you do not know where it will end up - sometimes for you and sometimes against you.

TOOBAD you know this well, look at your first posts here - You knew what they would reap.

Maybe you can apply for the moderator job in the classified ad section of this site.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 05 October 1999).]

Well besides all the argueing and name calling. Suzuki actually did the clutch mod to make the bike run the MPH with out slipping. It is NOT THE SAME AS THE TL. the angle is less. And yes it is for the road racer type of riding. Brock's redisgn or welding the cam is for drag racing, works great, but street riding I would leave it stock. My 1 cent
David G

I left this out...You can get the same mod from Brock for half the cost of schnitz.
(937)429-5832.
David G

David G...half the price of Schnitz? NOW you tell me!

With currency exchange, shipping, customs levies and local taxes it cost me close to $450 in Canadian, excuse me Cadadian funds.

Anyway, I'm still incredibly happy with it.

WHY are you concerned about using it on the street? I'm concerned you would say this because on the installation sheet for the Schnitz mod it has FOR RACING USE ONLY in huge letters right across the sheet.

Do you know something I don't know about the durability of the mod or its effect on other components?

I phoned Schnitz and they said it's a standard liability warning for them.

Even Yosh says the same thing about their RS3 slip-ons..."RACE ONLY."

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 05 October 1999).]

Kawabuser, you should not be talking to me when the clown filter is on try to develop some self control you loser. I am getting tired or reading the garbled garbage you type. Hahahaha

you guys are making me wonder if there is somthing wrong with my clutch . it is all stock and i bought a mez3 racing compound tire to help keep it from blowing the tire off when i try to launch. well it slill gets very crazy out of the hole even when i really heat the poop out of the tire. i have never really experienced clutch slippage.i bought my busa 6 weeks old used from an older gentelmen that realized he had bought the wrong bike for just riding to work. therefor im reasonably sure it hasnt had the clutch mod yet.the only other mods are drilled cans and its as low as i could get it without dragging the bodywork.

you guys are making me wonder if there is somthing wrong with my clutch . it is all stock and i bought a mez3 racing compound tire to help keep it from blowing the tire off when i try to launch. well it slill gets very crazy out of the hole even when i really heat the poop out of the tire. i have never really experienced clutch slippage.i bought my busa 6 weeks old used from an older gentelmen that realized he had bought the wrong bike for just riding to work. therefor im reasonably sure it hasnt had the clutch mod yet.the only other mods are drilled cans and its as low as i could get it without dragging the bodywork.

You want to talk bikes Kawabuser? Go right ahead what should we discuss?

Back