Scariest bike story

gaw

Registered
Ok, we have been talking about the worst thing you saw at work, funny stories on and off the bike, joke of the dat etc.

What about the scariest thing that happened to you on your bike. I know we have all had a few close calls, maybe we can learn from this.

I was riding along the frwy and exiting onto another frwy. The exit took me up over the frwy I was currently on and onto the other frwy. As I began on the off-ramp, an old POC van came flying across 3 lanes onto the off-ramp right in front of me. I braked as hard as I could and with a controlled skid came within about a foot of his rear bumper. Since we were on a cross over the only other option was to hit the little wall and hope I did not fly over and fall onto the roadway below (not really an option).
I was on the horn the whole time, if you can call it a horns. Not sure he evey really saw me, or just did not care. (installed air horns the next weekend).
After I changed my shorts  and caught up to the guy, he never even acknowledged me as a rode alongside of him trying to get his attention.
BTW: I was on my Honda Interstate Valkyrie, a much larger noticable bike at the time.

All in all it was very scary, no matter where you are you have to be looking.

Ride safe and watch out  

Another thing that happened one night:
It was Christmas eve and I saw Santa and a little elf on a Gold-Wing  :eek:
That was a bit scary.

I was on I-4 on my way to Lakeland a few months ago around 10pm.. I was about to pass a semi and one of the left rear tires on his trailer shredded right into my path. Didn't have time to think.. just react.. couple quick swerves and I was through.. I didn't sleep very well that night.. and NEVER stay near the rear of semi's now.. always very cautious when I pass them too.. can't imagine hitting those 50 lb chunks of tire at 80mph..
si.

I don't have a fear of heights, just a fear of falling. I was riding (OK going B@LLS TO THE WALL!) on the top level of one of those f'way to f'way interchanges called the stack, Not quite knee draging but definately doing 120, when I looked down over the edge (wide sweeeeeeping left hander and a 3' concrete guard rail). Got so scared I almost hit the right side guard rail.
Needed Depends that day!

The first incident was when I got my first bike, 1979 KZ400. I was riding around some rural roads and came around one turn and realized I was going too fast for the next turn. I braked as much as that bike would, there was some runoff in the corner but there were trees not more than 20 feet from the road. I went into the dirt but managed to keep the bike upright and stop before the trees. I just cruised on home after that.

The second scariest was when I was 18 I was test riding a Ninja 600 from a dealer and was about the make the U-turn back to the dealer. I am in the left hand lane doing about 50 and two cars in front of me in the middle lane are doing about 25-30. I wasn't really paying attention since I was all excited about getting my first sportbike. Well the one car swerved over in front of me without looking. I swerved to the left thinking I could get past her then slammed on the front brake when I realized I couldn't. Locked the front tire up and the bike slowed enough to be right between her car and the median. I could hear her stereo blaring with all her windows rolled up and I had time to glance at her face right before she smacked into me from the side. Luckily there was a turn lane that opened right when she hit me and the bike lowsided and I went sliding on the cement. Some people witnessed it going the other way and they called the police. She got the ticket and I got some money out of the insurance claim.

The scariest thing happened Labor Day, after riding for 150 miles me and my girlfriend were heading back to my place and I got complacent and cut a turn. There was a strip of sand and dirt in the middle of the road and the rear starts spinning, it then grabs again and we get highsided. The scary part was I got up and saw my girlfriend laying face down on the road and not moving. I got to her and she was conscious but had a concussion and a broken toe and some scrapes. I am glad she was wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and jeans, don't even want to think of what would have happened otherwise.

1) facing charges for 117 in a 55.

2) riding with some friends on night after work we went the way that they go every night. I hung with them through the first turn but by the exit of the second turn they had pulled away from me so I caught up with them just as they turned into the third curve that I didn't see. I locked up the rear tire and felt the bike starting to come out from under me. I saw a gap in the guardrail got off the brakes and held on tight. Once I left the road every thing turned into one big blur. Then all of a sudden it as clear as day and that is when I saw the tree directly in my path. Before I had a chance to say Oh Sh** there was a loud noise and a bright flash. The next thing I know I was face down in the dirt. I tried to roll over but I couldn't. I had to physically lift my leg and try agin. I knew my leg was broken but just not how bad. This time I made it. Just as I got my helmet off and my cell phone out my buddies made it back to me. I watched one of them come flying off the road and into the wet grass sliding and almost wreck and the other guy stayed on the road. Well I wound up breaking my leg in four places, spent three days in the hospital, had to move in with my parents and goto physical theropy for about three months, missed about four months of work, spent two months on light duty, had a total of four surgeries and spend the better part of a year on and off crutches. 2001 sucked.

1) facing charges for 117 in a 55.

2) riding with some friends on night after work we went the way that they go every night.  I hung with them through the first turn but by the exit of the second turn they had pulled away from me so I caught up with them just as they turned into the third curve that I didn't see.  I locked up the rear tire and felt the bike starting to come out from under me.  I saw a gap in the guardrail got off the brakes and held on tight.  Once I left the road every thing turned into one big blur.  Then all of a sudden it as clear as day and that is when I saw the tree directly in my path.  Before I had a chance to say Oh Sh** there was a loud noise and a bright flash.  The next thing I know I was face down in the dirt.  I tried to roll over but I couldn't.  I had to physically lift my leg and try agin.  I knew my leg was broken but just not how bad.  This time I made it.  Just as I got my helmet off and my cell phone out my buddies made it back to me.  I watched one of them come flying off the road and into the wet grass sliding and almost wreck and the other guy stayed on the road.  Well I wound up breaking my leg in four places, spent three days in the hospital, had to move in with my parents and goto physical theropy for about three months, missed about four months of work, spent two months on light duty, had a total of four surgeries and spend the better part of a year on and off crutches.  2001 sucked.
talk about a flash back.... just about the same story as JWs but i low slide on the corner missing the tree but falling down about 30 feet down the side of a cliff. no broke bones but badly beat'n.

Scariest moment because of my stupidity. When I was 18 I had a Yamaha XS750. There was an intersection at the top of this hill and right back down, the kind that gives you that funny feeling in your stomach when you go through the intersection. Well, I was lucky enough to catch a green light at the intersection, so I thought it'd be fun to go through the intersection about 70 mph or so. I went sailing through the intersection like I was on a dirt bike hitting a jump. I cleared the whole intersection landed and rode away. I was just lucky I stuck the landing, but had to change my shorts when I got home. Happened in jcfbd's neck of the woods on McEver road.

Scariest moment because of my stupidity.  When I was 18 I had a Yamaha XS750.  There was an intersection at the top of this hill and right back down, the kind that gives you that funny feeling in your stomach when you go through the intersection.  Well, I was lucky enough to catch a green light at the intersection, so I thought it'd be fun to go through the intersection about 70 mph or so.  I went sailing through the intersection like I was on a dirt bike hitting a jump.  I cleared the whole intersection landed and rode away.  I was just lucky I stuck the landing, but had to change my shorts when I got home.  Happened in jcfbd's neck of the woods on McEver road.
I want to try. Where is it, where is it? :laugh: Those are always fun.

Talking about dirtbikes. When I was about 15 I was riding my dirtbike out in the woods on day when I came up to a large rock. I was a smooth ride up to the top ridge where I stopped and put my foot down. To bad there wasn't anything under it. :eek: I started to fall over and there was nothing I could to do to stop it. As I was going over I pushed the bike the other way and fell off the rock. I landed about ten feet down face down. When I went to get up I was laying in a flat spot just a little wider then me and there was a nice pointed rock right next to me. Once I got over that and looked a little further I notice my bike leaning against the other side of that pointed rock on its tires. :super: So I fell straight down the bike did a complete flip and landed right next to me and both of us missed the pointed rock. How lucky was that?

I forgot the name of the road, but it is the one that you turn on to go to downtown Gainesville. Been a long time.

:withstupid: Watching the older guys come across a feild up a hill at the top there is a dirt jump with exstreme angle.Hey i'm only 14 (at that time) and i can jump further than that!!Realy ya brat lets see.Low and behold the brat ...me proceeded to come across the feild at about 70 miles per hour up the hill hit the jump and up i go.Upon looking down i about soiled myself, no way can a bike fly this high,got to keep her slightly nose high or im dead.The landing was right on hoooooooooooooooly i made it,whats that icy feeling?Looking down at the front wheel i could see the wheel moving freely in between the forks.Ohhhhhhhhhhhh sh..........t Down and sliding across the pavement on an enduro hmmmmmmmmm no leather griiiiiiiiiiiiind.When i finaly stop,we realized i had cleared the narrow span of a basket ball court before landing.The big shots told the little guy ...me the jump didnt count because i blew the landing.

Yesterday, a 12-13 yr old threw a basket ball towards me while in a sharp turn at 30 mph..Scary as hell saw it coming and couldn't do anything to stop it.. I did make the turn and went back and threaten to kick the s#it out of him and his friends.

Back