Sag question

Hauie

Let’s say I set the sag for my weight with all gear on, 170-180. If I ride one up, is that incredibly bad for the bike since it’s adding 120-130 lbs to the load? How bad is it if I just ride one up with my wife around town or cruising to dinner/etc?

If it bothers you raise your rear spring preload up a bit. Then put it back where it was when you are done
But if you do not
You will not hurt anything. It will just not ride quite as nicely as it does solo.

If it bothers you raise your rear spring preload up a bit. Then put it back where it was when you are done
But if you do not
You will not hurt anything. It will just not ride quite as nicely as it does solo.

The missus doesn’t like going fast on the bike anyways. I just sent the seats so she can finally ride more with me. Eventually be able to convince her I need a third bike so we can cruise around in

john's school of being a passenger
No back rest required
I have taught this method to both beginner and advanced riders and passengers and used it extensively at both the Humber college rider training school and with any number of requests to Go For a Ride
sorry it is so long
The passenger,
The passenger should be squarely seated inline with the driver and not leaning to one side or the other to see around you at any time while travelling in a straight line they only get to look side to side corners are obviously different
The passenger should ONLY go so far as to look over the shoulder corresponding with the direction of the turn
Right turn look over the right shoulder
They should never add body lean Looking over the shoulder will be more than enough. In fact some have found that they can corner quicker with a passenger than without due to such a minor amount of body shift.
The passenger should at all times hold onto the driver ONLY with their knees gripping the hips of the driver.
The passenger should at all times have their hands placed on the drivers back just a bit wider than the kidneys. The fingers should be pointing more to the side Or Horizontal rather than Vertical But not so much as to have their hands slip forward and therefore lose contact with the driver and causing the passenger to lurch forward into the driver in the event of a need to brake.
The passenger should have their elbows as close to a 90 degree angle as possible with their elbows firmly against their torso.
Using the knees method will allow the very strong leg muscles to hold the passenger steady and will prevent the passenger from rocking too far back upon acceleration and pitching themselves off the back
The hands and arms on the riders back and the elbows holding firmly to torso will use the strength of the arms. The elbow joints and leg muscles will be used to prevent the passenger from rocking forwarding banging helmets with the driver and affecting control. This works under both very hard acceleration and deceleration
For the benefit of the passenger this will be a good Core Work out and will get more effective as the core strengthens
Telling someone to just it still like a sack of potatoes is the single biggest mistake you can make Especially if the potatoes are leaning against a back rest. Passengers should not flop about. Nor should they make sudden moves or twist about on the back effecting the handling of the motorcycle
They can and should aid in the handling of the motorcycle So long as they understand not to try to over do things and just keep themselves alined with the driver and only move their head enough to look over the appropriate shoulder it will go well
The Driver
The Driver is 100% responsible for the Safety, Care and Control of both the motorcycle and the passenger
NO exceptions No excuses
The Driver will explain all of what I have laid out to the passenger before they even got on the bike.
Again
The Drivers are 100% responsible for the care and control of the bike and the safety of their passenger.
NO Exceptions NO excuses.
It is the driver job to NOT over accelerate. I will let you in on a secret
Most Passengers Women in particular during the early part of learning how to be a good passenger are not Not NOT interested in blinding excelleration Wheelies knee dragging in corners steppes of close calls with collisions. Scaring them half to death will not make them better passengers
It is the drivers job to ride in a very responsible manner recognizing the passenger may not be familiar with how a motorcycle works. Even a passenger is very familiar with riding as a passenger Drivers should ride with a common sense attitude until they are very sure of how the two of them work together
if there I too much rocking backwards and forwards it is the drivers fault. Either the Driver have not explained to the passenger What and How they should hold on or they are not riding in a manner that takes the ability of the passenger into account
After "The Briefing" as it were The Driver should get on and be absolutely sure he is ready with the bike under control Then and only then should they allow the passenger to mount up. The passenger should always ask if the Driver is ready. The passenger should only mount up when told to
I find it wise, especially with novice passengers, to already be pointing in the direction I plan to go
with some straight road ahead This will allow the passenger to get use to the action of holding on and get a sense of how the bike accelerates and brakes and How the holding on system works
For a vigin passenger I think a large parking lot is never a bad Idea for the first few minutes
The driver should be sure they are safely and securely on the bike before moving off and any real speed is started.
I have ridden with the same passenger for years and as she and we got more use to each other She is able to relax, be calm and comfortable on the back. However the moment she feels any deceleration of any kind her knees grip and the hands are right where they should be We almost never bang helmets. In fact she has gotten so good at bing a passenger she has been known to fall asleep on the back of the Busa and several bikes before that and I have never had a bike with a back rest
Now then
If I am about to do something that may require her attention such as cornering harder or passing a simple tap of my finger to the outside of her knee lets her know it is time to "Assume the Position"
if your passengers are nervous take a few minutes and go over this system with them They will< I believe< soon become far better passenger and learn to enjoy riding every but as much as you do
Where upon they will want their on bike :)

Back