Running Lean At High Rpms

229ZUKID

Registered
Just put the bike on the dyno last week to get tuned and beyond 7K it ran super lean and it kept climbing to redline. She made 149 hp 99 tq. As far as mods I have a full M4 gp mount exhaust baffle removed with the pair system removed and blocked off. Found a little rip in my cap that I used to block off the airbox but I haven't ran it since then to see if that could've been a potential problem(doubt it). I have Schnitz Short Stacks in the airbox. I also had my ECU flashed by Lees Performance in NC. I have a dynojet stand alone ignition quick shifter on there as well. Any ideas of what could be causing it to run lean like that? I've heard maybe an exhaust leak, fuel pump problem, fuel regulator problem. The bike feels strong on the street.

How lean was it running? What afr was the wideband coming up with on your dyne runs?
Why did you have the ecu flashed? When the eco was flashed did they run the bike on the dyno, establish a proper far throughout all ranges and then flash those figures in the ecu?

How lean was it running? What afr was the wideband coming up with on your dyne runs?
Why did you have the ecu flashed? When the eco was flashed did they run the bike on the dyno, establish a proper far throughout all ranges and then flash those figures in the ecu?
It ran up to 17.99 according to my printout...I had it flashed to take off the restrictions and the normal poop like lower fan temp and stuff like that. I sent the ECU in to the shop so the bike wasn't on a dyno there.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the good info. According to that printout I think your bike needs some fuel added from 7500 RPM up.
A tune would solve that issue.
You'll need a power commander, woolich racing, bzaaz or someother engine management system to enable you to do that.
I'm not sure if a tuner can just flash the ecu without any extra hardware, but your bike needs some dyno time and new fueling maps.
Untill then I would avoid running the bike over 9000 RPM.
That printout only reflects the afr at 100% throttle. At 2,5,10,20% and so on throttle position the afr is unknown.

Thanks for the good info. According to that printout I think your bike needs some fuel added from 7500 RPM up.
A tune would solve that issue.
You'll need a power commander, woolich racing, bzaaz or someother engine management system to enable you to do that.
I'm not sure if a tuner can just flash the ecu without any extra hardware, but your bike needs some dyno time and new fueling maps.
Untill then I would avoid running the bike over 9000 RPM.
That printout only reflects the afr at 100% throttle. At 2,5,10,20% and so on throttle position the afr is unknown.
I have a power commander on the bike...I was in the process of gettin it tuned and we noticed how lean it was running up top so we tried giving her more fuel at 100% throttle and it didn't bring the AFR down any so he put 50% more full in at 100% throttle to see if anything would change and she barely moved so she's not gettin gas somehow.

Ok, these are important details.
It does seem to be running lean only during high demands on the fuel system.
It may be worth looking into if everything having to do with fuel delivery is working exactly as it should.
Did you make the changes to the power commander when you did the dyno run?

Ok, these are important details.
It does seem to be running lean only during high demands on the fuel system.
It may be worth looking into if everything having to do with fuel delivery is working exactly as it should.
Did you make the changes to the power commander when you did the dyno run?
Before we did the run we loaded the map from dynojet to the PC so we could tune off of that map. I'm tryin to get in contact wit lees to see if they put the right flash on it. Just an option

Your bike needs a new fuel pump assembly, your main fuel pump plastic housing (inside the tank) has a filter in it that is clogged. Throwing more fuel at it and not having the afr come down was your first clue . . .

Your bike needs a new fuel pump assembly, your main fuel pump plastic housing (inside the tank) has a filter in it that is clogged. Throwing more fuel at it and not having the afr come down was your first clue . . .
I checked my fuel pump pressure today and she was between 42-45 psi. I also checked my spark plugs to see how they were looking and they looked pretty good instead of white like running a lean condition. I have been doin some research on here and I've found that some people have had similar problem and they said check you vent and vacuum lines off the back of the tank and make sure they're not pinched. I haven't had this problem until I put my new swingarm on my bike so I looked underneath to check the vent lines and both of them were pinched between the motor and the swingarm. So I cut them where they were pinched at. Didn't have time to throw it on the dyno before I left but I will definitely throw it on there tomorrow to see if that changed anything. The bike responds well to fuel adjustment at lower rpms. I'm gone do all the trouble shooting I can before I just jump straight into doin a fuel pump.

Seems like powerhouse has a valid suggestion.
As long as the PCV is functioning correctly, adding fuel without any change in afr sounds like a problem with part of the fuel delivery system.
I don't think you need to worry about contacting lees, I don't think it's related to the flash.

I checked my fuel pump pressure today and she was between 42-45 psi. I also checked my spark plugs to see how they were looking and they looked pretty good instead of white like running a lean condition. I have been doin some research on here and I've found that some people have had similar problem and they said check you vent and vacuum lines off the back of the tank and make sure they're not pinched. I haven't had this problem until I put my new swingarm on my bike so I looked underneath to check the vent lines and both of them were pinched between the motor and the swingarm. So I cut them where they were pinched at. Didn't have time to throw it on the dyno before I left but I will definitely throw it on there tomorrow to see if that changed anything. The bike responds well to fuel adjustment at lower rpms. I'm gone do all the trouble shooting I can before I just jump straight into doin a fuel pump.

What pressure your fuel system makes at idle has zero to do with what pressure and flow will do with a clogged pump or pump housing. Next time you ask for feedback on an issue, you need to put everything out there - like the fact that you didn't have this issue until you installed your swingarm! Obviously, something like pinched vent tubes will affect fuel flow. You should get it back on the dyno and get it properly mapped. If your dyno tech sees anything over 15:1 while on a full throttle pull, I would advise he roll off the throttle and shut it down . . .

You have a dyne at your disposal? Lucky!!
I concur with powerhouse' suggestion to get the bike properly mapped
And not just at WOT, throughout all throttle positions and rpms.
Get back to us with your results.

What pressure your fuel system makes at idle has zero to do with what pressure and flow will do with a clogged pump or pump housing. Next time you ask for feedback on an issue, you need to put everything out there - like the fact that you didn't have this issue until you installed your swingarm! Obviously, something like pinched vent tubes will affect fuel flow. You should get it back on the dyno and get it properly mapped. If your dyno tech sees anything over 15:1 while on a full throttle pull, I would advise he roll off the throttle and shut it down . . .
Calm down there Frank...I did the swingarm and put a new exhaust on at the same time. But I didn't think the swingarm would have affecting anything that's why I didn't mention it. Simple mistake anybody could have made. But I do value everybody's input on here that's why I'm here. Pretty sure I'm not the first person to forget mentioning something and probably not the last. So uhhh yeah I'll be putting the results of the change up tomorrow.

Calm down there Frank...I did the swingarm and put a new exhaust on at the same time. But I didn't think the swingarm would have affecting anything that's why I didn't mention it. Simple mistake anybody could have made. But I do value everybody's input on here that's why I'm here. Pretty sure I'm not the first person to forget mentioning something and probably not the last. So uhhh yeah I'll be putting the results of the change up tomorrow.

Very funny! Tarzan know where Tarzan go . . . we all want to help, that is the bottom line. I am glad you found the possible issue, I hope you get good results, please let us know . . .:thumbsup:

Very funny! Tarzan know where Tarzan go . . . we all want to help, that is the bottom line. I am glad you found the possible issue, I hope you get good results, please let us know . . .:thumbsup:
So they bike put down 167hp this time but it's still running lean up top but not as much. AFR line is smoother instead of erractic. So once again we tried feeding her a lil bit more gas and she ran leaner and lost HP so we tried leanin out that section and the AFR richened up and HP came back up. So we were thinking maybe a faulty power commander. We called them and explained the situation and they said maybe the firmware update from the website might have fucked it up. I'm guessing it affects certain PCs a certain way so they sent us a couple of other firmware updates to see if that could fix the problem. So I'm just waiting for my guy to put em on there and see what happens.

I'm happy to see you call PC instead of jumping to replacing hardware.
Let us know how that turns out.

I'm happy to see you call PC instead of jumping to replacing hardware.
Let us know how that turns out.
Pulled the fuel pump and checked the filter and she was dirty and clogged so I cleaned her wit carb cleaner and sprayed her off. I'll test it again tomorrow

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back