Rubbing compound

monster

Wherever I May Roam
Donating Member
Registered
Well I'm sure most of you read that I dropped my bike yesterday. Like I was saying there are no cracks or breakage. I've never used rubbing compound before but someone suggested that I try it. It wouldn't take the scratches away but it would make them less noticeable. That and maybe a new kanji decal and I'd be good until winter when I'd have more $$$ to buy a new panel. Please give me your thoughts. I do appreciate them. KEVIN

I had a professional do it only because I am a chicken poop when it comes to inflicting damage on the bike... and yes I said poop. Mine had some pretty deep grooves and a bunch of minor ones... the wet sanding or whatever they did in the shop removed all but the really nast ones... At least enough that I wasn't embarassed to ride and have to explain how I fought off fifty guys trying to steal my bike and that it got knocked over in the scuffle... Although I really dropped it myself
biggrin.gif

Maybe pm smoking gunz or one of the other pro's.

Be very carefull using some of that stuff. Very abrasive.

Try some McQuires (sp) first to get a feel for it. Use a wet pad and do a little at a time. Follow with a polish then wax.

I'm sure several board members can help you further.

Boy, if if wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all.

hogger...

118_1834.JPG

I work a couple of buildings down from Corvette Center in Newington CT and the gentleman over there said it would be under $100 (maybe closer to $60 or $70) to wet sand it. He said it wouldn't come out completely but would definatly make it look better. Thanks for the idea Jessup. Hogger, thanks for the tip. I may hold off trying it myself and let Corvette Center do it for me.

depending on the depth of the scratches...if the scratches are just in the clearcoat it will buff out. use 3M [product brand] meduim cut hand polish. if you dont have a buffing machine get yourself a drill adapter that will hold a buffing pad. squeeze enough onto the bike surface to keep the surface "wet" while buffing. dont keep the buffing pad in a single spot move it around. keeping the surface wet with product and moving the buffing pad while you work will keep the paint from getting too hot from friction and blistering. apply light pressure as you work. you should have the scratches out in about 30 seconds. change pads and use 3M hand glaze with the next pad to get a mirror shine.

depending on the depth of the scratches...if the scratches are just in the clearcoat it will buff out. use 3M [product brand] meduim cut hand polish. if you dont have a buffing machine get yourself a drill adapter that will hold a buffing pad. squeeze enough onto the bike surface to keep the surface "wet" while buffing. dont keep the buffing pad in a single spot move it around. keeping the surface wet with product and moving the buffing pad while you work will keep the paint from getting too hot from friction and blistering. apply light pressure as you work. you should have the scratches out in about 30 seconds. change pads and use 3M hand glaze with the next pad to get a mirror shine.
I'm scerrrrrd
wink.gif

yup..that 3M stuff is great! I just can't find it around here. Maybe a body shop supply house.

hogger...

hey dude! i live in broad brook.. .im always on the pike. used to work at the bars in hartford. my buddy dave is fixing my plastics right now.. guy is GOOD. let me know.. he can hook it up
smile.gif

hey dude!  i live in broad brook.. .im always on the pike. used to work at the bars in hartford. my buddy dave is fixing my plastics right now.. guy is GOOD. let me know.. he can hook it up
smile.gif
dammit I just set it up to drop it off to Corvette Center. I still might need help though when I decide to replace the Kanji decal and install frame sliders. I definatly don't want to blow the guy off because the owner of my company gets his Vettes serviced there and they know him. I do appreciate the offer.

I'm scerrrrrd  
wink.gif
Just leave it rashed and save the money for a smokin_gunz paint job.

I'm scerrrrrd  
wink.gif
Just leave it rashed and save the money for a smokin_gunz paint job.
I wish I could but dammit it eats away at me every time I look/think about it. We'll see how it looks after the guys at Corvette Center do and if I'm still not satisfied I'll search for a used panel and worse case scenerio I'll buy a new one this winter and get sliders.

Damn gunz you got skillz. Wish I could pony up the loot.

Back