ROTD

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Beef Stroganoff (simple version)

3lbs of top sirloin (tenderloin or ribeye for those not on a budget) (1" cubed)
1/4 cup vegetable oil or your pref
1 lrg Vidalia onion (diced)
1 1/2 - 2 lbs mushrooms (I prefer whole)
4 cups water (may need to add more later, read on)
3 tablespoons beef base (better than bouillon, consume or beef broth will work)
1 tablespoon of vegetable base (optional to add some depth to flavor)
1 qt sour cream
2 cups Cabernet sauvignon

Parsley for garnish as we all know NO ONE EATS PARSLEY......

Wide Egg Noodles

Blond roux (this is the thickening agent, you will not use all of it)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour

in deep pot brown beef with oil about 1/2lb at a time and move to bowl as batch finishes
when last batch of beef is brown, just dump in the onions and brown till transparent
add other browned beef,mushrooms, beef/vegetable base mixed with water, wine and simmer till beef is tender (I just do 1 hour)

ROUX: (for thickening)
In 8" or so fry pan and med heat, melt butter and slowly add flour until it is all in, the flour will saturate with butter and start to turn a touch of brown... done... (approx 8 minutes) hold to side

After beef is tender you can start spooning in the roux until you get a light gravy consistency from juices. Be careful as the mixture must boil to fully thicken.. if you get too much thickening, just add water. We are looking for enough thickening to make it stick to your noodles, not the wall
smile.gif

Remove from heat and add sour cream (technically you should not boil the mixture after the sour cream is in)

You should have a fairly hardy mixture of sauce/meat/mushrooms salt and pepper to taste at this point

Serve over noodles, garnish with "parsley" and a side asparagus or other green,a colorful side salad really helps as this is not a photogenic dish
smile.gif

This gets better tomorrow after it cools one time.. no idea why but this is awesome on day 2
smile.gif
I tend to use more mushrooms myself..

Try over toast for breakfast (I know it sounds bad but it is great!!)

I will likely do a large batch for spring bash if there is request
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

strog.jpg

more later when I serve up
smile.gif

Oh yea, since you bought a bottle of wine for this, you still have half a bottle or so to drink up.. so grab a glass while the pot simmers...

Try one of the Aussie wines, tonight it is an Alice White Cabernet Shiraz and I think even some white wine drinkers might like this..

No pics as we are eating the evidence
laugh.gif

Here's a great chip dip:

1 block of Velveta Cheese (pick your size, this is for the big block at the store)
.5-1lb turkey sausage (mild or spicy, your choice depends on how much meat you like in your dip)
2 cans Rotel (again mild or spicy)  (one can would work if you like less heat/salsa in your dip)

Chop the sausage into small pieces, actually using it in ground form is best.  Brown the sausage and drain the greese.  Put the meat aside for later.

Open and drain the Rotel.  If you havent used Rotel before, its normally in either the mexican or canned tomoato area of the store.  Comes in a variety of flavors, I recommend the regular or extra spicy(my fav).

Cube the velveta cheese into small cubes (melts best).  Place into a med/large microwave safe bowl.

Now, combine the rotel and sausage into the bowl and microwave on 70% power for 5mins.  Stir mixture and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Depending on amount of cheese, judge remaining cooking time so that all cheese is melted.  

Serve with your favorite chips and enjoy
beerchug.gif

Beef Stroganoff (simple version)

3lbs of top sirloin (tenderloin or ribeye for those not on a budget) (1" cubed)
1/4 cup vegetable oil or your pref
1 lrg Vidalia onion (diced)
1 1/2 - 2 lbs mushrooms (I prefer whole)
4 cups water (may need to add more later, read on)
3 tablespoons beef base (better than bouillon, consume or beef broth will work)
1 tablespoon of vegetable base (optional to add some depth to flavor)
1 qt sour cream
2 cups Cabernet sauvignon

Parsley for garnish as we all know NO ONE EATS PARSLEY......

Wide Egg Noodles

Blond roux (this is the thickening agent, you will not use all of it)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour

in deep pot brown beef with oil about 1/2lb at a time and move to bowl as batch finishes
when last batch of beef is brown, just dump in the onions and brown till transparent
add other browned beef,mushrooms, beef/vegetable base mixed with water, wine and simmer till beef is tender (I just do 1 hour)

ROUX: (for thickening)
In 8" or so fry pan and med heat, melt butter and slowly add flour until it is all in, the flour will saturate with butter and start to turn a touch of brown... done... (approx 8 minutes) hold to side

After beef is tender you can start spooning in the roux until you get a light gravy consistency from juices. Be careful as the mixture must boil to fully thicken.. if you get too much thickening, just add water. We are looking for enough thickening to make it stick to your noodles, not the wall
smile.gif

Remove from heat and add sour cream (technically you should not boil the mixture after the sour cream is in)

You should have a fairly hardy mixture of sauce/meat/mushrooms salt and pepper to taste at this point

Serve over noodles, garnish with "parsley" and a side asparagus or other green,a colorful side salad really helps as this is not a photogenic dish
smile.gif

This gets better tomorrow after it cools one time.. no idea why but this is awesome on day 2
smile.gif
I tend to use more mushrooms myself..

Try over toast for breakfast (I know it sounds bad but it is great!!)

I will likely do a large batch for spring bash if there is request
smile.gif

"Parsley for garnish as we all know NO ONE EATS PARSLEY......"
Actually, flat leaf parsley adds great flavor. You're right about the other kind.

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

My recipe:

Hobo Chicken

appx 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 cans of green beans
1 medium onion
appx 2 lbs potatoes
1 can corn
1 bottle zesty italian dressing
1 squash
2 packages of mushrooms

Night before cooking:

Dice chicken up into bite size pieces and marinate in zesty italian dressing.

Cooking:

Cht potatoes up into bite size pieces and put into foil baking bag.
Add canned veggies
add mushrooms
cut up squash and onion and add as well
pour chicken into bag last, along with marinade.

Seal bag up tightly and put in preheated oven at 450 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs or until potatoes are cooked. Stir every half hour.

This is simple to make, takes very little prep time, and is fairly good for you. it also makes a LOT of food, which makes for nice leftovers.

No pics as we are eating the evidence
laugh.gif

Here's a great chip dip:

1 block of Velveta Cheese (pick your size, this is for the big block at the store)
.5-1lb turkey sausage (mild or spicy, your choice depends on how much meat you like in your dip)
2 cans Rotel (again mild or spicy)  (one can would work if you like less heat/salsa in your dip)

Chop the sausage into small pieces, actually using it in ground form is best.  Brown the sausage and drain the greese.  Put the meat aside for later.

Open and drain the Rotel.  If you havent used Rotel before, its normally in either the mexican or canned tomoato area of the store.  Comes in a variety of flavors, I recommend the regular or extra spicy(my fav).

Cube the velveta cheese into small cubes (melts best).  Place into a med/large microwave safe bowl.

Now, combine the rotel and sausage into the bowl and microwave on 70% power for 5mins.  Stir mixture and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Depending on amount of cheese, judge remaining cooking time so that all cheese is melted.  

Serve with your favorite chips and enjoy
beerchug.gif
Hey! Have you been spying on me? I make it that way too! It's to DIE for!

yeah that stuff is good squishy... use a few cans of the extra spicy with some good sausages .... YUMMMMMMMM

Problem then becomes eating too much of the chips/dip and feeling like terd sammich groanin on the sofa
laugh.gif

Back