Rolling thunder

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Went to Rolling Thunder again this year... took a couple of pics.

Bad thing was that my bike almost overheated. I rode with a couple of guys... an R6, GSXR 600 and a Kawi 636. After the ride I asked them what kind of temps they were hitting, and they were all around 225 - 227, while giving it lots of revs at red lights and basically showing off...

I was babying the Busa, no unnecessary revs and shifting at low RPM's, and I was still hitting the red line temp mark. What gives?

Looks like I'm going to have to try the Muzzy Fan and some engine ice. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, the ride was great, always very emotional for this Army Vet.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 144
A pic with the Pentagon in the background... this is just one parking lot

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 146
Last one... I saw a guy standing up on one of those big transformers taking pictures... I handed him my camera for a wide shot...

Cheers

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 154
cool.gif

Thanks for the pics. Looks like they had a great turnout. Don't know what to say about the overheating except you may want to check out the radiator. Cleaned mine out before the bash and it was full of crispy bugs. We did a ride last year when it was 100 degrees out ,with no overheating problems.

Lot of bikes there and looks like a good event. Muzzy fan and Engine Ice work. I did those mods last summer and have had no problems.

ahhh...long ride...virgin uhhh...rear....wish had the money and the time

You may have an air pocket in your cooling system - may need to 'burp' it.

Thanks omslaw. I found the procedure using the search button and will check it out before I buy the fan.

Not to keep the thread going, but I just performed the radiator lean procedure. Took the fairing off, unscrewed the rad cap... radiator was filled to the complete top with coolant. I leaned the bike about 15 times in both directions, no bubbles no level change... started the bike with the radiator cap still off for about 15-20 seconds... still no change. Overflow tank is halfway between the full and empty level indicators.

This is actually the second time it's overheated. The first time I had about 200 miles on her... temps climbed almost to the red... I shut her off for a few minutes and then no problems for the next 2200 miles - till yesterday.

The coolant still looks healthy and the radiator fins are clean. so I'm not sure what to think. I've been reading tons of posts all day about Busa's overheating in cooler climate areas... and folks who live in Texas and Arizona riding in stop and go traffic in 110F temps with no issues at all. BTW, yesterday it was about 92F depending on which bank display you believe. The stop and go was not really that bad... 5 minutes at the most stopped... 2-3 minutes in motion. While in motion the bike did cool off to normal operating temps.

Guess I'll have to order the Muzzy Fan and some Engine Ice. Bummer... but I can't have this happen again.

GMbusa and I had fun keeping the bikes out of the red too. DC traffic sucked.... ended up lane splitting to keep the bikes out of the red. Had a nice line of hardleys following. I think they saw how awesome our busas were and wanted to watch them
tounge.gif

mine done it last summer in the downtown trafic. I added the muzzy fan and redline water wetter and so far it hasnt done it this year, but I havent been in real heave trafic yet either.

Went to Rolling Thunder again this year... took a couple of pics.

Bad thing was that my bike almost overheated. I rode with a couple of guys... an R6, GSXR 600 and a Kawi 636. After the ride I asked them what kind of temps they were hitting, and they were all around 225 - 227, while giving it lots of revs at red lights and basically showing off...

I was babying the Busa, no unnecessary revs and shifting at low RPM's, and I was still hitting the red line temp mark. What gives?

Looks like I'm going to have to try the Muzzy Fan and some engine ice. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, the ride was great, always very emotional for this Army Vet.
Nice report! Oh and you may wanna try water wetter. It's a lot cheaper and I have read all good comments here and elsewhere about it. I just bought a bottle the other day and will install this week. - K

wow, we were there too...I was watching my gauges too...but I wasn't heat that far...in fact, my muzzy fan and engine ice is still sitting at my car...(some ppl said its not going to change anything even if you change both of that...but since I bought it...what the heck right?) me and cuffee and 2 more guys at the scene...here is the pic...

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148965181 -->

Rolling_Thunder_009__Small_.jpg

my busa at the Rolling Thunder (in the middle...) and theres cuffee and tail parts of his red busa...
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148965831 -->

Rolling_Thunder_017__Small_.jpg

Back