Rod threw front of motor

illfirsdonill

Registered
Sunday i was going down 199 at a decent speed of about 150 m.p.h. and all of a sudden bike starts shaking and shuts off. i hold in the clutch and glide to a stop the people behind me tell me there was a huge cloud of smoke they thought i went down but they couldn't see. i notice oil all over. a little on the oil cooler i figure no big deal we will order the block offs. tow truck shows up tow the bike home start pulling off fairings and chunks begin to fall out of them. (thats not good) look at themotor and part of the connecting rod is there in the front i pull it out and of course its snapped off and whats left is bent up. but the one cap screw is missing and so is part of the cap. i look at the rod threads closer and the threads seem to be fine? how possible is it that the one screw came out? is this a common problem?

Sorry to hear about this. I've been through it myself. It's not likely that the rod cap screw backed out. It may have been bearing failure.

Have you had work done to your motor? What mods? How many miles?

lurk.gif

going to need pics (and good sharply focused ones) both ends of rod, piston/cyl bore, crankshaft journals and the oil filter needs opened up and looked very closely... should render enough info to determine failure cause..

most common type of failure like this at speed? lack of lubrication...

yep what bogus said. you have devoured your rings now your crank and pistons are shot. rods too. this just happened to me in dec. i ended up just going with a big bore with the rebuild. you were more than likely low on oil.

its a 2006 just got it in april supposedly the shop serviced it while they had it should of checked there work. but on a brighter not got the new motor today

Back