Rocky Mountain Run

Beautiful!!! I miss the Rockies...
sad.gif

Sounds like a nice ride, and I'm glad your friends are going to be okay after their accident...

Loved your colorado pics and story. Colorado is in my plans for next summer.. Hey if you plan to come to the ozarks email me, Its in my back yard.. Frequently go to lake ozark region and Branson area.. Great riding in missouri..

Loved your colorado pics and story. Colorado is in my plans for next summer.. Hey if you plan to come to the ozarks email me, Its in my back yard.. Frequently go to lake ozark region and Branson area.. Great riding in missouri..

Wow! Excellent! Yeah, next time you do that GIVE ME A FRICKIN PHONE CALL!!! That is the ride I would do without thinking... 0 day notice vaca and I'm outta here! Seriously. I would have gone with.

Say, any nice roads around where you are? The weather is chillin adn I wanna ride out there before snow hits

Take no offense WWJD, I'd have loved to have ya along for the trip, but it was one of those post break-up deals that I needed to do myself, know what I'm saying (girl dumps guy; guy needs to put some air in his sails and get the hell out of Dodge).

Yeah, there are some nice roads in Western Iowa in the Loess Hills. My bike goes back to PSP next Tuesday for a new gas tank under warranty (blem found in the paint when I took delivery), but we should still be able to get some riding in sometime in October.

e-mail me and we'll chat about days off and whatnot.

i understand completely! unlike women, a Busa will never let you down in it's primary fulfillment
biggrin.gif

with current project load I can't take any days off but I can be out there pretty early on a Saturday morning. I have pocketbike track days on the 9th 23rd and then 6th. the rest are open. also looking for a good isolated 2+ mile flat strait stretch to test... um... miles per gallon... yeah MPG ;) ;)

wow.gif
 You just road through my back yard for four days...  
sad.gif
 Bastid...
cool.gif

72 is the cats ass, Big Thompson though, 34... is another story, tell me, is it still 50% tar strips??? If you had hit the rockies about an hour north, you would have been in Poudre Canyon HWY 14 which is usually just about abandoned during the weekdays.  Much better road for really haulin ass...

The Church your looking at is The Chapel On the Rock.  The land on which Camp St. Malo is built was given to the Catholic Archdiocese of Denver by Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Malo who purchased the 160 acres from the William McPhee estate in 1935.

The Malos donated the funds for the building of the chapel and paid for its maintenance for decades. The chapel was dedicated by Archbishop Urban Vehr in 1936 to the honor of Saint Catherine of Siena and in the memory of Mrs. Malo’s mother, Catherine Smith Mullen.

In 1993, Pope John Paul II visited the chapel during his trip to Denver for the World Youth Day and bestowed his personal blessing on the chapel.

However, as a Kid I spent two weeks at St. Malo when it wasn't the Cushy little BS Catholic "Retreat" it is now. Learning about Wilderness survival, critters, fishing, rock climbing etc...

I think The Chapel is still on US 7. The whole route you were on is called the peak to peak. It's allways been one of my favorite streches of Serious Haul Ass Highway and nearly 100% LEO Free... Did you make it up 36 from Lyons CO? It has some sections that are banked, 3 lanes wide and just amazing...

Trailridge is a blast, especially when you get caught up there in an Ice storm on a GIXXER 750... Heh.. Then the lack of guard rails and night time setting in becomes really spooky...

Too bad about Estes Park though huh? Talk about a tourist trap... I haven't been in years but I remember the place just being crazy. It's pretty cool in the winter though, most of the Tourists run home and it's really very pretty. OH and yeah 34 has ALLWAYS Been a Pain in the ass... Did you encounter any Elk? Big Horn SHeep? Yeah those mobile Chicanes are the freaking spookiest thing up there onthe roads...

In the Spring there is a Highlands Festival which is a good time if you can get into Bagpipes.

Oh and I spent 4 years in Omaha... And I feel for you out there on 80... Umm Not a lot out out there... Really nothing till you get to the front range again...

Anyway, I'm jealous, sounds like you had a great ride though man... Thanks for the cool pics...

Rev

Nice pics man, Isn't it cold there this time of year? Seems to cold to be wearing jeans. Glad you had fun though. Sorry to hear about your friends. Hope they are ok.

Thanks for the kudos guys, it's appreciated.

I was going to try to make an Ozarks run yet this season, perhaps as soon as next weekend, but my schedule at work may not allow it. That's next on my list of "must ride" areas, however. From all I hear, the Table Rock area (where I'd call home base for a few days) is a roller coaster of tangled twisties - right up my alley.

Rev, interesting anecdotes on Colorado, some of the scenery I photographed, Trailridge, etc. Thanks for sharing. Oh, on Estes, I still like the town. Sure, it's more touristy than it used to be (especially on summer weekends), but they're still under 10,000 residents and, at least in the off season and during the week, the place retains its storybook village atmosphere IMO.

ralnsplder, in that photo of me wearing jeans, if you look closely you'll see my JR Ballistic 4.0 riding pants lashed to the back seat of the bike. I was on my first dayride when I took that shot and, after coming down off Trailridge, it was too warm to keep 'em on. But yeah, it's getting cool this time of year and, when temps permit, I wear full gear.

Back