Riding with Strong Side Wind Gusts

Benesesso

Registered
Riding my old ZX-10 home from work on an interstate, and the side wind gusts were pretty strong. I ended up running ~55-60 in a 75 zone, and the gusts were whacking me good.

Anyone ever been shoved off the road by side winds?

It's common out here to have 20 to 30 mph winds with gust up to 40 mph
winkold.gif
. Biggest problem is when your on a two lane road, meet an 18 wheeler going down wind from you. Then it's BANG
wowold.gif
, hold on. But, yeah cross winds are common and out here if you don't ride in them, you just don't ride
sad.gif
. Just be careful, and stay within your own limitations. Also, when used right, you can clear off your chicken stripes by going both ways
laugh.gif

Riding my old ZX-10 home from work on an interstate, and the side wind gusts were pretty strong. I ended up running ~55-60 in a 75 zone, and the gusts were whacking me good.

Get used to it. It's all about control. Tuck in, and watch the throttle.

By the nature of your question, I am thinking you haven't ridden in the so called "Monsoon" season yet. That is when it's truly no fun on the 10, the 17, and 40.

Check the thread about the AZ ride on the 25th. The more, the merrier!

We also get alot of bad cross winds here in northern MO on US 36, mostly from the south, 25-45 mph with higher gusts to the point your almost riding side saddle. Really sucks at times , or in this case blows. LOL Never heard of anyone eating it though.
Is that your '99 in your avitar? Sweet!

Get used to it. It's all about control. Tuck in, and watch the throttle.

By the nature of your question, I am thinking you haven't ridden in the so called "Monsoon" season yet. That is when it's truly no fun on the 10, the 17, and 40.

Check the thread about the AZ ride on the 25th. The more, the merrier!
best bet when the wall of dirt and wind hit,,,, get off the road for 15 minutes...

I have been hit by some pretty tough stuff commuting between Coolidge and Mesa.. best thing was to just park and tuck behind the bike till it blows through....

Do use your head
smile.gif

>"I am thinking you haven't ridden in the so called "Monsoon" season yet. That is when it's truly no fun on the 10, the 17, and 40."<

I've actually been out here since '82, but I don't usually ride when the temp. hits ~100. Yes, that's like 5 solid months that I turn into a cager.

>"Check the thread about the AZ ride on the 25th. The more, the merrier!"<

I could see a ride to Prescott, but not Tucson. I think I'm spoiled now after having ridden in Italy for 6 years---.

So then you are used to the weather!

I normally head north no later than 7:00 A.M. on the weekends, to avoid the valley's heat.

Throw up a post when you want to head up north. There's bound to be a bunch of us that would join you.

>"I am thinking you haven't ridden in the so called "Monsoon" season yet. That is when it's truly no fun on the 10, the 17, and 40."<

I've actually been out here since '82, but I don't usually ride when the temp. hits ~100. Yes, that's like 5 solid months that I turn into a cager.

>"Check the thread about the AZ ride on the 25th. The more, the merrier!"<

I could see a ride to Prescott, but not Tucson. I think I'm spoiled now after having ridden in Italy for 6 years---.
The run to Payson is pretty nice (and great road quality too)

Goodluck and I were riding down the Turner last year from Caps house. The wind was gusting really bad and almost blew me and Juli up under a tractor/trailer rig. We got off the turnpike and cruised Route 66 the rest of the way back to T-town. Anything over 25 to 30 mph crosswinds suck.

Ummm....errrr....uhhhh... just
2cents.gif
but I believe "rain" and "gusty winds" are two of the best teachers Mother Nature has in her arsenal for training Busa Pilots.......Here in Vegas we've had one heck of a year thus far with gusts between 50-70 on one particular night......yep that's miles-per-hour....mostly 25-30 mph on average, but the night of the serious winds I got tossed around, and pretty banged up and still made it home at no less than 65 mph. Just gotta remember, overpasses-winds increase, under-passes winds mysteriously vanish and then jump you out the far side. Once you've done enough windy riding, it gets a lot easier to do the "micro-compensation" stuff that keeps you in "your" lane....give it time, ride your ride, and don't be afraid to slow down until you're more comfortable !!! "Skills come through diligence in training....."
super.gif

I get more annoyed by the waves of dust...I KNOW...my motor is sucking into the filter, as it sprays across the shine of my headlight....
cursin.gif

I ride in the White Mountains of NH. Holds the record for strongest wind gusts.
I just tuck in and enjoy the crazy ride. Go faster, you slice the wind.
lurk.gif

When I was living in Ranch Cucamonga, CA., I met a girl for dinner in Corona which is about 15 miles away down the I-15 towards San Diego. Rode the bike there with probably 20-30 MPH gusts. Around midnight when I was riding back home the gust were sustained over 60 MPH and up to 85 MPH. I prayed the entire way home and it was the first time that I ever felt like I could drag my right knee going straight. Last time I ever rode in Santa Anna winds. That was the most scared I have ever been on my bike.

When I was living in Ranch Cucamonga, CA., I met a girl for dinner in Corona which is about 15 miles away down the I-15 towards San Diego. Rode the bike there with probably 20-30 MPH gusts. Around midnight when I was riding back home the gust were sustained over 60 MPH and up to 85 MPH. I prayed the entire way home and it was the first time that I ever felt like I could drag my right knee going straight. Last time I ever rode in Santa Anna winds. That was the most scared I have ever been on my bike.
But the b!tch stuck right there though, didn't she? Yeah...Unless it's a hurricane, Ride!

I've ridden in that situation before (on purpose so I can experience it). The best thing to do, let's say the wind is blowing from the left, is to stick out your left knee. I've read about this before and it does work. Your knee kinda acts like a sail. The worst part is when you're behind a tractor trailer. It's like you're in the middle of a twister. I found out that the best thing to do is pass it. I remember when I got to a wide open area, the wind was gusting so hard, it's like someone's trying to pull my helmet out of my head. That's how hard the wind was gusting at that time. It also tried to push me to the curb a couple of times.

But the b!tch stuck right there though, didn't she?  Yeah...Unless it's a hurricane,  Ride!
Actually, it was a fight to keep it in one lane. The winds were so bad that night that they closed the pass as semis were being blown over onto their sides. As I got closer to Rancho, the 15 becomes 10 lanes (5 each way) and I got hit by some gusts that took me over four lanes. Had I been riding directly into it, it would have been a totally different story but the cross winds at that sustained speed were total hell. You don't ride in the Santa Anna winds in California. Nothing like them anywhere else in the country. At midnight and it was still 90 plus degrees.

But the b!tch stuck right there though, didn't she? Yeah...Unless it's a hurricane, Ride!
Actually, it was a fight to keep it in one lane. The winds were so bad that night that they closed the pass as semis were being blown over onto their sides. As I got closer to Rancho, the 15 becomes 10 lanes (5 each way) and I got hit by some gusts that took me over four lanes. Had I been riding directly into it, it would have been a totally different story but the cross winds at that sustained speed were total hell. You don't ride in the Santa Anna winds in California. Nothing like them anywhere else in the country. At midnight and it was still 90 plus degrees.
Crazy...never been to Cali. Maybe on my epic trans-continental escapade...

What's wierd about the Busa is that it feels like the bottom of the bike wants to come out from under you.....but never does. Other bikes you just get blown into the other lane.

My ZX-10 is an '88 too. Just turned 40,000 miles. Stock except the intake cam got pitted a litte, and a new ZX-11 cam was a lot cheaper than a ZX-10 for some weird reason.

Why did your engine seize?

Back