"riding communications"

hayabusa_83

Registered
hey guys,
anyone got the helmet radios? heard the chatterbox was good, but they came from a kawi rider! j/k!!!
biggrin.gif
anybody know or have some cheap for me?
thanx,
Brian~

I have the Chaterbox GMRS-X1 and absolutely love it. Don't count on the voice activation though. At speed you'll find yourself yelling to get it to open the channel and then it will drop you. It comes with a manual PTT button. Use it I can't ride without it anymore. When I'm not riding with my buds I have the radio on.

I have the Chaterbox GMRS-X1 and absolutely love it. Don't count on the voice activation though. At speed you'll find yourself yelling to get it to open the channel and then it will drop you. It comes with a manual PTT button. Use it  I can't ride without it anymore. When I'm not riding with my buds I have the radio on.
Yup...I love it. Used it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Awesome piece of gear.

Chatterbox is good . I use it for my radio and phone . Like Moose said use the button to talk and you can talk to anyone on your channel within range, 5 miles on the GMRS-x1

I have the older FRS-X2 and love it. My wife and I use it and several people in the local groups have them. I use it to listen to my iPod when I'm riding.

In terms of sound quality, the speakers could be a LOT better than they are but with the wind noise and everything going on around you, they're actually OK.

Of course, the ability to communicate with the other people in your group is priceless.

--Wag--

the chatterbox is a great radio. Thay have a bluetooth version coming out in Jan. that is goin to be pimp as hell. wireless headset, works with bluetooth phones for wireless link and intergrates your MP3 players also.

Chatterbox is cool because it is battery powered, thus less wires.

Autocom is wired to your bikes power, so no battery to charge.

I have chatterbox and love it. Try to find out what other riders are using. x2 chatterbox to x1 chatterbox only have half the channels to use. So if your local riders are using x2s, than go with that.

im kinda new to this mod, its only a 2 way between you and one other rider?  
rock.gif
No sir, between you and whomever is on the same channel within 3 miles ( they advertise 5 but It's never happened for me) Your radio plays only to your headset but the communication is between anyone in your riding group. makes group rides much easier!

What about the Starcom systems? How do they compare to Autocom and Chatterbox? communication
They have a sound clip for you to hear and it sounds pretty good.

<!--EDIT|djorgensen3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134326149 -->

Took the time to hardwire mine this year as the battery never seem to last long enough. Love it more now than ever, have it hooked up to xm radio and my phone. Able to talk to passanger on bike or others in group. It truly is a good thing to have. Mine has been sitting in the box for a year now I use it everyday. Music on the bike is nice.

i have the ChatterBox gmsx something haha, to tired to go look. It's a 5 mile range. works like a charm. Well worth the money

I have the Chatterbox X1, Autocom and just got the Starcom Advance1 so have tried all three. Starcom is nice because it's all hardwired into bike's power supply, is under the hump, and I have plugged CD Player/FM Radio into. Additional cord plugs into headset jack of my cell phone but haven't tried that yet. Quality of microphone was so-so on Starcom above 60mph but I think my helmet must have a lot of windnoise on the busa.

Trick to it all is the quality of the microphone imo. If you are on sportbike, little harder to talk above 60mph, my partner on the FJR with tall windscreen is crystal clear with Autcom than I am. They all work good, can get very expensive ($350-700) and push to talk is way to go.

If you go Chatterbox, it's all self contained. If you go Autocom or Starcom, keep in mind you still have to buy the radio seperately. I have a Kenwood Freetalk XL walkie talkie which is pretty common. All power supplied by bike.
biggrin.gif

Just talked to a guy from clearcom throat mic they are comming out with some type of adapter to use there throat mic with the chatterbox this is for sure going to be the way to go ,clear communication with no wind noise . right now I use the Fx2 which is the 2 mile version and has been a great asset , abuddy of mine that I ride with is in the process of getting a small walkie talkie with a throat mic to try out but going this route your limited to just talking no radio or cell phone ,but hey communication is alittle more inportmant than listing to music mostly when your riding .It can save your life ..:)

Back