Riddle to rack your brain.

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Had someone send this to me...anyone seen it?

UPDATE: IT's a stupid waist of time...there is no third word.
http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/didyouknow/gry.asp

RIDDLE THAT'LL KILL YOUR BRAIN!
This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word. What is it? __gry?

I had a bastid english teacher who did this to me. I know what it is.

(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 28 2006,12:34) Orgy !
Ummm, yeah...
laugh.gif

Is it one of these?

affect-hungry fire-angry MacLoingry Seagry
aggry Gagry mad-angry self-angry
Agry girl-hungry mad-hungry selfe-angry
ahungry gonagry magry sensation-hungry
air-hungry gry malgry sex-angry
anhungry haegry man-hungry sex-hungry
Badagry half-angry managry Shchigry
Ballingry hangry mannagry shiggry
begry heart-angry Margry Shtchigry
bewgry heart-hungry maugry sight-hungry
boroughmongry higry pigry mawgry skugry
bowgry hogry meagry Sygry
braggry hogrymogry meat-hungry Tangry
Bugry hongry menagry Tchangry
Chockpugry hound-hungry messagry Tchigry
Cogry houngry music-hungry tear-angry
cony-gry huggrymuggry nangry th'angry
conyngry hund-hungry overangry tike-hungry
cottagry Hungry Bungry Pelegry Tingry
Croftangry hwngry Pingry toggry
diamond-hungry iggry Podagry ulgry
dog-hungry Jagry Pongry unangry
dogge-hungry job-hungry pottingry vergry
Dshagry kaingry power-hungry Vigry
Dzagry land-hungry profit-hungry vngry
eard-hungry Langry puggry war-hungry
Echanuggry leather-hungry pugry Wigry
Egry ledderhungry red-angry wind-hungry
euer-angry life-hungry rungry yeard-hungry
ever-angry Lisnagry scavengry yird-hungry
fenegry losengry Schtschigry Ymagry

There are a few English words that end in -gry, including, but not limited to, the following words in our dictionaries: aggry, angry, hungry, and puggry. There are at least a hundred more you can find in the Oxford English Dictionary, dialect dictionaries, gazetteers and onomasticons, but none of them are common. Some are simply hyphenated items like "dog-hungry" and "ever-angry" while others are variants like "begry" (for beggary) and "higry pigry" (a variation of hierapicra). There is even a word "gry," which is an obsolete unit of measure equaling 0.008 inches. But the reason the question comes up so frequently is because of a riddle. One version of the riddle goes, "Think of words ending in -gry. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is." The answer is sometimes given as "language," because "language" is the third word in the phrase "the English language." Two of the sentences thus have absolutely nothing to do with the remark: "Think of words ending in -gry. Angry and hungry are two of them." They are there only to throw you off course. What's left is the actual riddle itself: "There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is." The first two sentences are just a red herring. But many people hear or read the question and assume it is referring to the first sentence. But that might not be the answer; that might not even be the question. In his remarkable book Wordplay (New York: Sterling Publishing, 1999), Chris Cole gives a historical account of the riddle and seven different versions of it with seven different answers. Here is one: There are three words in the English language that end in -gry. ONE is angry and the other is hungry. Every ONE knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. Every ONE uses them every day. And if you listened carefully I've given you the third word. What is it? The answer here is "three," which is the third word in the paragraph. The rest is just a red herring. The word one is capitalized, according to Mr. Cole, "for no apparent reason but historical accident." The final word goes to author and linguist Richard Lederer: "The answer to the infernal question is that there is no answer, at least no satisfactory answer."

Next.

Back