Review - Shoei Rf-1400 and Sena srl-ext

wreckwriter

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, I got tired of my HJC f70 hurting my forehead so I picked up a new Shoei rf 1400. Wanted to post a review for anyone who might be considering getting one. Also put a Sena srl-ext bluetooth headset on it, specifically made for this helmet.

For the helmet, first the good things..

20230520_091729.jpg

It comes in yellow. Doesn’t match my bike yellow but it's yellow. Comes in other colors too of course.

It's Snell rated (2020) which you'll need to race at any sanctioned track.

Now the not so good. Shoei has changed their sizing. I used to wear a large and it was very comfy. Now an XL is tight on me. Changed out the cheek pads to a thinner version and it fits well now.

The biggest problem is the shield. It locks down and has a center button to unlock. Good luck with gloves that are any thicker than surgical gloves. Solution is to not lock it. Also has a small tab on the shield to raise or lower it. It's too small and again difficult with gloves.
20230520_091746.jpg

Now for the Sena unit srl-ext. It's made specifically this helmet.

First the good. It works pretty well but the "hey sena" commands require a button push. Hey Google does not and works well. Phone calls are clear with very little wind noise on the other end. Tested at 50 mph.

Now the bad. The wires are too short. If you aren't careful you'll disconnect the battery wire when you put the pads back in after install the mic wire is also too short, won't reach the center of the chin piece still works OK but another inch on all the wires would have been much better. I expect when they de

20230520_092022.jpg
signed this they used a small helmet where they should have used the biggest size available.
20230520_091913.jpg

I love my RF1400 and Cardo combo on the RoadGlide. I too just leave the shield down but not latched.
I use the X14 on the Busa and just transfer the Cardo between the two.
RF is quieter but the X moves more air and feels a tad lighter.

I thought about getting a Cardo.
Cardos are pretty sweet. The Edge is I guess the evolution of the PakTalk Bold that I have. There is another new Cardo on the market where you can subscribe to different features but the group I ride with all unanimously voted against it. Not paying for features that should be there anyway.
Edge will probably be on my X15.

Do you guys not get a whistle in the helmet with the shield down but not latched? I also hated the middle latch button, but after a couple days I got used to it and have no issues opening it with gloves on.

Do you guys not get a whistle in the helmet with the shield down but not latched? I also hated the middle latch button, but after a couple days I got used to it and have no issues opening it with gloves on.
I use my RF1400 on my RoadGlide and it sees far less wind with the screen out front. No whistle for me.

Latch it when you plan to hit excessive speeds and unlatch it for normal road work or group rides? I personally don't like the specific helmet com systems because upgrading is difficult. I think SENA was using older tech because they wanted their helmet to be the clear tech winner.

I have all of these but the Cardo is my #1. It was actually waterproof, although maybe the SENA-specific helmet units are now. I don't ride in the rain much but on trips, it's often unavoidable - and that's when com is most essential. Also, the Cardo voice commands seem to be more stable IMHO. However, on all of these, the mic needs to actually rest on your lips to work best - which can be annoying if you are really riding fast.

2 be honest, all of these units (SENA & CARDO) are pretty good and much better than riding in groups without com. I have ridden with 3-4 SENA boys and making connections was fairly reliable. It is annoying to have to spend that extra 20 minutes getting everyone connected and rejoining at fuel stops but worth it when underway. We actually started taking our helmets into restaurants and paring after we eat. It seems easier when they are very close together.

Also, discuss protocols! There is always one Extrovert who thinks having com is an excuse to run their mouth at higher RPMs than their engine. The com is for necessary com, and it's really fun when everyone is disciplined about talking & informing the group. This definitely;ly makes group riding safer and more relaxed.

Here are a few of mine over the years, don't think the latest ones are in this picture:

200519 GoPros.jpg

Back