Restriction question

legion rider

Registered
I do a lot of riding in town where I'm running in 3rd gear (02 Busa). I noticed the bike runs kinda crappy (hope I can say that). Is this do to the restrictions they did on the timing in the lower gears? If I cruise on the highway it runs like butter. I'm assuming that the reason.

do you have any mods? if you just did exhaust and no power commander that might be the issue. all else fails buy the TRE =)

I don't think that in 3rd gear around town you'd be running into the limiter.

Are you just recently noticing it, or has been like that since you've had it? If recently, has anything been added or changed?

When was your last tune up (oil change, plugs, etc.)

Does it run better if hot or cold?

Are you running an aftermarket exhaust? Full or slip-ons? Has it been tuned with a power commander or ecu editor?

Those are first things that come to mind after reading your post.

I'd say too tall of a gear for in town riding to begin with if you are talking about 20 - 30 mph speeds. Stay in 2nd. If your rpm is below 2500, you gotta downshift even for in town.

If you still have a problem, that's another story. Hard to tell from your description. You gotta be more specific. How about recording a sound when you ride, and posting it here?

It's hard to explain it's not lugging it's more like missing. I've noticed it for a while. The only mods are D&D exhaust I wouldn't think it needs a PC for that. If I get on it as in WOT no problems. It's an 02 but has only 6000 miles had 4200 last fall when I bought it. Could it be plugs?

If it's a full exhaust, then it does need a tune. Either with a PC or ECU editor.

Edit: there are other fueling boxes out there too, not just the PC

Like Daniel said, a Gen I with full exhaust needs a PC or something. These bikes don't ride that smooth in the situation you described. They have a little kick just idling.

If it's just slip ons don't worry. Plugs are cheap and easy.

Grip It and Rip It brother :thumbsup:

Its just slip ons. Think I'll try a set of plugs. It doesn't seem to have any problem in the power department. The other day I did a little WOT in first and second and it lifted the front end and wanted to carry it even with my 240 on it.

2002 Busa.jpg

Down shift!

Keep the rpm's at 4k and she will purr...
Posted via Mobile Device

Its just slip ons. Think I'll try a set of plugs. It doesn't seem to have any problem in the power department. The other day I did a little WOT in first and second and it lifted the front end and wanted to carry it even with my 240 on it.

Oh yeah, that's what these bad boys do, your butt will twitch left a tad too. :whistle:

Back