How to remove 100HP restriction on a 2003 Hayabusa

almano

Registered
The method is the same as the GenII Busa? Or there is another way to remove the 100HP restriction on these EU bikes? Thanks!:bowdown:

I heard the same question from a guy in France who bought a VMax and he wanted to know how to remove the same 100hp restriction. It seems to originate in the ECU programing. They had a different wiring harness hook up which made plugging in a US ECU really difficult.

Other than that I don't know a anything else. BUT it's a real bummer having a Busa or Vmax with the power of a scooter at your control.

I heard the same question from a guy in France who bought a VMax and he wanted to know how to remove the same 100hp restriction. It seems to originate in the ECU programing. They had a different wiring harness hook up which made plugging in a US ECU really difficult.

Other than that I don't know a anything else. BUT it's a real bummer having a Busa or Vmax with the power of a scooter at your control.

There is a thread here how to do it on a GENII Busa. It's only matter of removing a wire off the ECU. But unfortunately I could not find anything about the Gen I. Busas.:banghead:

C'mon folks, someone here has the answer...help him out.

If the problem lies with the harness and doubling back into the ECM, then changing the lot to a USDM configuration might seem the logical approach. Unless there are additional sensors that we (assumed) here in the USA cannot see or know anything about, then this swap might be the way to address this over-ride.

However; my first thought is that if the French Government has commandeered the production and governing of salable production bikes in their country, then changing out the French harness over to a USDM harness is, and will be, the least of your worries.

Please dont call me that....and are you saying that your bike is restricted to only 100 hp?

I feel, he called you that because of the progression of your post count indicates that you are a 'Hayabusa Master'.

Pinky Winky
Hayabusa Master

It is possible that a TRE can fix it?

It would be interesting to "read" what the EU ECM is telling the bike, i.e., how it is configured?

I would run this by Greg Smith or PetriK. Flashing and having the ECM ""think"" differently is how I would approach it.

And if you have to have annual tests done for compliance or emissions, maybe having a second or stock ECM,, along with your flashed ECM would be the way to battle this so that you won't go down with the ship, if you will.

I'm not saying this will work to "fix" your problems ,,, I am just throwing out food for thought so that we can be progressive on this(?).

I am feeling really bad for you. 100 HP restriction would kill this bike, in my opinion. I bet Busa sales must not be too high in Europe. Better to get something with a decent power-to-weight ratio, like a Puch moped!

It would be interesting to "read" what the EU ECM is telling the bike, i.e., how it is configured?

I would run this by Greg Smith or PetriK. Flashing and having the ECM ""think"" differently is how I would approach it.

And if you have to have annual tests done for compliance or emissions, maybe having a second or stock ECM,, along with your flashed ECM would be the way to battle this so that you won't go down with the ship, if you will.

I'm not saying this will work to "fix" your problems ,,, I am just throwing out food for thought so that we can be progressive on this(?).
No problem with annual test since the bike is in Hungary where is no such a rule like 100HP restriction. My friend bought this bike in French she liked since this was her first big bike but not too much power but now she wants full power... :)

Only info I've seen is on the GenII.
According to a thread on a different site, it is a single wire from the ecu (cut or remove)which controls the sec. butterflies creating the hp restriction.
Again that's on a GenII, GenI :dunno:
Hopefully someone can help.........

I have a friend in the Netherlands with a Gen I and it isn't limited. This might be a French thing not all of Europe. Can't help with the tech info though.

Hey guys,
From what I can tell restrictors on a Gen I busa are a mechanical install. During my research I found this site motorcycle power restrictors, speed restrictors and height reducers They seem to supply Britian and a good deal of Europe with gen I restrictors. The good news is it looked like a pretty straight forward install (actually that depends on which type of restrictor is on the bike) but they have instructions on how to install them under the fitting & care instructions. Should be easy to just reverse the process.:batman:

I just went back to the site, and it seems to have changed a bit. The instructions seemed to be cannibalized into a description of the different restrictor methods only.

Last edited:
Besides Greg (boostbysmith-sponsor), or Petrik, you could also talk to Johnnycheese (send him a PM). He's probably encountered it along the road as well. If it's not mechanical limiting, then there's the change the ecu and loom wiring, or flashing a map onto the ecu that comes with new directions for the ignition and fuel injection.

That's how we remove the speed limiter here in the States and raise the rev limiter without a whole bunch of work. You can flash the current ecu with a whole new set of instructions. You get Greg's wiring interface, you download Petrik's freeware, Renesas freeware, a copy of a stock map to make changes to with the free software, follow Greg's directions as he gives you all the do's and do nots, and your girlie is going to get a very large surpirse ! :oldcool: Start with the numbers and letter codes on the ecu that is on the French bike and see what version they gave her.

Welcome to the real Hayabusa world brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Hayabusa.org......

Much thanks to Petrik, Renesas, Greg at Boostbysmith, and our dearly departed Dave Owens for making this all a plug-n-play kind of thing !! :bowdown:

Last edited:
Back