Replacing clutch lever = broken master cylinder.

Rattlehead

Registered
When I purchased my bike it came with a broken clutch lever, so I ordered some new ones off of eBay. Went to install them last night and what should have been a very simple 15 minute job turned into a nightmare. I installed the brake lever and all went fine. But after removing the lock nut on the bottom of the clutch lever, I noticed that the bolt that goes through the lever was tight and difficult to turn (yes I know its threaded to the perch). I just figured it was seized up from not being removed for a while. I sprayed a little WD40 on it and after a few minutes I tried again. This time as I turned the wrench it was still very tight but after about 5 turns I felt something give. I thought it came loose.... But then I looked closely I noticed that the clutch lever perch (the ear on the master cylinder that the clutch lever bolt goes through) had snapped off. poop! Apparently there was a sleeve inside the clutch lever mount hole that the bolt goes through. This sleeve had corrosion and had basically welded itself to the bolt. As I tried to loosen the bolt, the sleeve pushed against the bottom of the mounting ear on the master cylinder and snapped it off.

Long story short, I had to get on eBay and buy a used clutch master cylinder for $120. Now I guess I'll have to remove the left side fairing and bleed the fluid which looks like a pain in the ass.

Anyway, no real point to this post other than to vent a little and to tell anyone else who runs into this issue when replacing a lever not to force it! Soak that sucker down with some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight.

Last edited:
When I purchased my bike it came with a broken clutch lever, so I ordered some new ones off of eBay. Went to install them last night and what should have been a very simple 15 minute job turned into a nightmare. I installed the brake lever and all went fine. But after removing the lock nut on the bottom of the clutch lever, I noticed that the bolt that goes through the lever was tight and difficult to turn (yes I know its threaded to the perch). I just figured it was seized up from not being removed for a while. I sprayed a little WD40 on it and after a few minutes I tried again. This time I felt something give, so I thought it came loose.... But then I look down and noticed that the clutch lever perch (the ear on the master cylinder that the clutch lever bolt goes through) had snapped off. poop! Apparently there was a sleeve inside the clutch lever mount hole that the bolt goes through. This sleeve had corrosion and had basically welded itself to the bolt. As I tried to loosen the bolt, the sleeve pushed against the bottom of the mounting ear on the master cylinder and snapped it off.

Long story short, I had to get on eBay and buy a used clutch master cylinder for $120. Now I guess I'll have to remove the left side fairing and bleed the fluid which looks like a pain in the ass.

Anyway, no real point to this post other than to vent a little and to tell anyone else who runs into this issue when replacing a lever not to force it! Soak that sucker down with some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight.
Always something it seems...you will be well versed on that bike once you get it all sorted out.

I never ever use WD40 , ONLY Midlock Eesinut WORKS 100%
Parts been sit and rusty 14 years ,came loose with this FAB Product
2017-04-26 18.43.52.jpg

When I purchased my bike it came with a broken clutch lever, so I ordered some new ones off of eBay. Went to install them last night and what should have been a very simple 15 minute job turned into a nightmare. I installed the brake lever and all went fine. But after removing the lock nut on the bottom of the clutch lever, I noticed that the bolt that goes through the lever was tight and difficult to turn (yes I know its threaded to the perch). I just figured it was seized up from not being removed for a while. I sprayed a little WD40 on it and after a few minutes I tried again. This time as I turned the wrench it was still very tight but after about 5 turns I felt something give. I thought it came loose.... But then I looked closely I noticed that the clutch lever perch (the ear on the master cylinder that the clutch lever bolt goes through) had snapped off. poop! Apparently there was a sleeve inside the clutch lever mount hole that the bolt goes through. This sleeve had corrosion and had basically welded itself to the bolt. As I tried to loosen the bolt, the sleeve pushed against the bottom of the mounting ear on the master cylinder and snapped it off.

Sucks when stuff like that happens. All I have to say is DO NOT let that fluid get on the paint/body work!

Back