Reparations

I have no problem checking, as I said immediately after the war, things were on the upswing, and then it went to poop.

Liberia was a non starter, u phrase it like a vacation when Lincoln was simply scared of slaves outnumbering whites across the country and wanted to get rid of em. And nobody supported it. They even did a trial run that failed. Blacks didn’t want to go back to Africa, they wanted to be equal in the country they were born in, America.

As far as the land, are u referring to the order that pres jackson reversed after Lincoln died? If u wana get deep into history, u gotta acknowledge it all, good and bad.

AND more importantly, “I” never asked anybody for anything, you don’t know me enough to know where I stand in the “we vs them” argument.
Well you certainly implied YOU feel reparations are in order.

Slavery was outlawed. Liberia wasn't a trial run. Nor meant to be a vacation destination. I'll accept that blacks wanted to stay here. For reasons we can't undo.

As to your assessment that Lincoln was worried about being outnumbered. I'm happy to read any source that explains that. 300 years later. Blacks still are in the minority of the population here. So that may have been a reason you can find. But that was flawed reasoning.

We used Chinese for slave labor afterwards. They built a lot of our infrastructure. Do we owe them reparations?

How about the Irish? Or any other groups we exploited for labor?

Not to pick on u but this is kind of a dumb statement.

1. Clearly most of u didn’t even read the article, which I think will be great if it happens more.

2. Every time in history, that I can recall anyway, that we did something messed up, we paid “reparations.”
Japanese concentration camps here on our soil? reparations.

Bomb the Japanese? Reparations

Kill all the native Americans? Reparations

Aid to other messed up countries? Yea no problem.

And on and on. The only time nothing happened is for slavery. Immediately after the civil war things were on the upswing for uniting the country and then something happened and it was like “the south shall rise again” and everything went to poop. Starting this decades long ongoing civil rights struggle.

So no, nobody owns slaves or picks cotton like it’s 1825, and no, nobody is going after Rome because we don’t live in Rome. But to say America isn’t still responsible for something when clearly it quickly takes responsibility in everything else, even things we shouldn’t, is ridiculous. This particular bill is just past due and in collections lol
I do not feel picked on by any means. Thank you though for that. i did read the article and so many more just like it. Does not change the fact we have given so many handouts and special days and and and. It will never be enough. African Americans have had the same opportunities as anyone else in this country for ever now. The great majority do not take advantage of them, they are too busy breaking laws, being lazy, acting like total trash. These the people you feel we owe anything too? There is a ton of white Americans that are the same exact way. Do we owe them something since life is so hard in this country? The answer is no. There are enough programs for the "disadvantaged".

Well I’d say closer to 160 years, makes more sense to go from the end of the civil war than the first ship that came here. And you’re right, it was flawed reasoning, but that’s what he thought at the time of the idea (paraphrasing).

And in the 160 years since, do u think everyone and everything was equal in America? Should’ve been on day 1 after the war ended. 160yrs later,

Chinese, Irish immigrants were paid lowly wages and exploited, whites complained they were taking their jobs, similar to today just insert Hispanic immigrants. F’d up, but not a reparation situation imo. They weren’t forced to come here and if they left they just had a shitty life elsewhere, they weren’t hunted down and forcibly returned. That being said, no reason they can’t ask/file.

If u really read what I wrote, I said the article U posted is a step in the right direction, and it has nothing to do with reparations for slavery. Other ppl just didn’t read it and went off about reparations. Similar to ppl who just go off about gun control without really knowing.

America is/has been forced to find a way to attempt to do right by everybody but slaves. Yea the land and reconstruction would’ve been cool if jackson didn’t mess with it. Maybe statues in homage to the losing side of the civil war, Jim Crow, lynchings, burning down Tulsa, sundown towns, red lining, etc would’ve never happened and all this stuff people bitch about now wouldn’t have happened.

I think it’s hypocritical to say these ppl get it but those ppl don’t, when we throw money away everyday. Everyone says well how long do we have to pay? But don’t want to acknowledge all the crap the govt either did or allowed to happen after slavery to keep running up the bill. It’s retarded.

I do not feel picked on by any means. Thank you though for that. i did read the article and so many more just like it. Does not change the fact we have given so many handouts and special days and and and. It will never be enough. African Americans have had the same opportunities as anyone else in this country for ever now. The great majority do not take advantage of them, they are too busy breaking laws, being lazy, acting like total trash. These the people you feel we owe anything too? There is a ton of white Americans that are the same exact way. Do we owe them something since life is so hard in this country? The answer is no. There are enough programs for the "disadvantaged".

Maybe I read the article wrong then. This article states the ppl who donated a ton of money to the university want their money back bcuz the university says they owned slaves and are changing their name. I haven’t heard of another place doing that. That’s great,

Forever is pretty vast, I’d say this generation(our kids) is pretty equal as far as opportunities in most places, but we are one generation away from segregation, pretty sure most members of the forum or their parents grew up in segregated times, separate but equal was never equal. Coincidentally this is the laziest generation of kids as a whole I ever seen lol

I’m cool with holidays, makes people think about stuff they dont teach in school. It’s like two black holidays, milk day and juneteenth.

Well I’d say closer to 160 years, makes more sense to go from the end of the civil war than the first ship that came here. And you’re right, it was flawed reasoning, but that’s what he thought at the time of the idea (paraphrasing).

And in the 160 years since, do u think everyone and everything was equal in America? Should’ve been on day 1 after the war ended. 160yrs later,

Chinese, Irish immigrants were paid lowly wages and exploited, whites complained they were taking their jobs, similar to today just insert Hispanic immigrants. F’d up, but not a reparation situation imo. They weren’t forced to come here and if they left they just had a shitty life elsewhere, they weren’t hunted down and forcibly returned. That being said, no reason they can’t ask/file.

If u really read what I wrote, I said the article U posted is a step in the right direction, and it has nothing to do with reparations for slavery. Other ppl just didn’t read it and went off about reparations. Similar to ppl who just go off about gun control without really knowing.

America is/has been forced to find a way to attempt to do right by everybody but slaves. Yea the land and reconstruction would’ve been cool if jackson didn’t mess with it. Maybe statues in homage to the losing side of the civil war, Jim Crow, lynchings, burning down Tulsa, sundown towns, red lining, etc would’ve never happened and all this stuff people bitch about now wouldn’t have happened.

I think it’s hypocritical to say these ppl get it but those ppl don’t, when we throw money away everyday. Everyone says well how long do we have to pay? But don’t want to acknowledge all the crap the govt either did or allowed to happen after slavery to keep running up the bill. It’s retarded.

Maybe I read the article wrong then. This article states the ppl who donated a ton of money to the university want their money back bcuz the university says they owned slaves and are changing their name. I haven’t heard of another place doing that. That’s great,

Forever is pretty vast, I’d say this generation(our kids) is pretty equal as far as opportunities in most places, but we are one generation away from segregation, pretty sure most members of the forum or their parents grew up in segregated times, separate but equal was never equal. Coincidentally this is the laziest generation of kids as a whole I ever seen lol

I’m cool with holidays, makes people think about stuff they dont teach in school. It’s like two black holidays, milk day and juneteenth.
i dont think anyone should be able to get money back etc. Whats paid is paid. As far as special days for african americans, we have an entire month dedicated to them. Black history month. I think its march. I am not aware of a white, latino, chinese history month are you?

…”African Americans have had the same opportunities as anyone else in this country for ever now. The great majority do not take advantage of them, they are too busy breaking laws, being lazy, acting like total trash. These the people you feel we owe anything too?”

The great majority huh? That’s about the most racist statement I’ve ever heard.

i dont think anyone should be able to get money back etc. Whats paid is paid. As far as special days for african americans, we have an entire month dedicated to them. Black history month. I think its march. I am not aware of a white, latino, chinese history month are you?
Lol it’s this month but I think/hope u were being sarcastic-and it’s not a holiday per se. other cultures/races have months/days as well but no one pays attention.

If u refuse to see the racial disparity difference, that’s on u. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. One day I hope we wont need black history month bcuz black history is American history.

Last edited:
…”African Americans have had the same opportunities as anyone else in this country for ever now. The great majority do not take advantage of them, they are too busy breaking laws, being lazy, acting like total trash. These the people you feel we owe anything too?”

The great majority huh? That’s about the most racist statement I’ve ever heard.
Whatever floats your boat. If you think that was racist guess its on you. I wont take the bait and argue with you on what's racist and what isn't, nor who is racist and who isn't. Opportunity exists for anyone if they set goals, and work towards those goals. Takes drive. Some people have it, some don't. I have many black friends who came up through what would be considered the ghettos or slums. The part of town they and I grew up in wasn't pleasant. They made the choice to demonstrate drive and made choices to get themselves out of what they had been born into.

Adding...some did not make the choice and are still there.

Back