Removing Transmission.

SHADiGUY1

IT IS WHAT IT IS
Donating Member
Registered
Hey whats up guys been reading around here for a while but this is my first post. I bought my busa back in september before that i had an r1 and cbr929 Anyhow i only have 700 Miles on the busa and was considering getting my trans undercut by APE the question is how difficult is the trans to remove and reinstall i am mechannically inclined as i am a car/truck mechanic and can do pretty much all things on cars never really got my hands into many bikes other than tires brakes etc .

Please any info would be greatly appreciated

Always clutch shift 2nd, No problems with stock tranny in 4yrs.
bowdown.gif

I have seen threads by the less than inclined do this... I think Professor has a lot of experience in this and what parts should be done at the same time..

as far as clutching the shifts? I typically only clutch first gear myself and when riding 2 up, I might 2 finger the clutch to keep it bit smoother for the mrs.. 14k on an 06 with no issues..

OK possible stupid question here. When big coop, says clutch shift second and Mr. Bogus says he 2 fingers the clutch, what the heck are ya'll talking bout? I always use the clutch when shifting thru the gears, is that right or wrong?

YANK THE ENGINE CLYDE.MY TRICK IN PULLING A BUSA ENGINE IS TO PULL THE REAR TIRE SLIDE THE AXLE BACK IN AND USE A FLOOR JACK TO LOWER THE BIKE DOWN TILL THE OIL PAN REST ON SOMETHING SOFT .PULL ALL THE MOUNTING BOLTS THEN JACK THE FRAME UP AND OFF THE ENGINE. MAKES IT A ONE PERSON JOB . A FLAT BOTTOM AFTER MARKET OIL PAN MAKES IT EAZIER.THEN TURN THE ENGINE UPSIDE DOWN AFTER PULLING ALL THE CASE BOLTS FROM THR TOP CASE PULL ALL THE BOLTS FROM THE BOTTOM CASE ,POP THE BOTTOM CASE AND THEIR IT IS.

Nice... now question is do you think this is a Required thing to do should i do it now? Or wait till i have issues if i ever do?

I would just wait if it was mine..

I do not shift with the clutch as a rule... When the Mrs is with me, I strive for SMOOTH as possible so I feather the clutch.

I just say do what you are comfy with and shift like you mean it... if you are a sissy on the upshift, it will be a problem.. I just prefer to not use the clutch myself and over 40 years of riding , never had a problem with it or had to replace a clutch..

I WOULD LEAVE IT ALONE IF IT IS WORKING AND IF YOU MUST, WAIT TILL WINTER . I HAVE BEEN DRAG RACING A 2000 BUSA WITH A 40 HIT OF NITROUS USING AN AIR SHIFTER WITH OUT MISSING A SHIFT EVER. THE BUSA TRANNY IS VERY TOUGH . I LATER PUT A TURBO AND TURBO PISTIONS WITH 10 PSI AND NO PROBLEM . I USED CLUTCHLESS TOE SHIFTING 1st THROUGH 6th WITH OUT ANT PROBLEMS FOE MANY YEARS AND HAVE NOT HURT MY TRANNY.AN AIR SHIFTER WORKS VERY SLICKLEY.

If you are going to do It have the tranny gears undercut(~$400 exchanged). replace the shift shafts with billet ones (cheap)
you will need to replace the shift fork for 2nd

when you are splitting the case make sure you get the bolt at the counter balance its out of the way and easy to miss.
becareful when putting case back together damn suzuki bolts are like playdoh

I remove engine kinda like boosta, except put floorjack with board on it under engine, undo bolts, and lift frame with cherry picker.

If you are an auto tech it will be no problem to do,all you need is a repair manual,eng. removal sockets(I made mine with a die grinder)and some tools.It will be cheaper to do it now if you don't have to buy any trans. parts that are not too worn,but not that much cheaper.I did mine when I got the busa w/7500mi. on it,replaced 4 gear's two fork's c-clip's and required seals and gaskets and put 10k on it with no problem with stock part's.

Back