08+ Transmission Undercut?

standfast

Registered
I am wondering if anyone knows if the 08 is factory undercut in any of the gears. I am getting ready to split cases on one and am wondering if I should pull the trans for undercut in any gears?

Is there any differences in the genII trans? Shaft sizes? Gear sizes?

I have not heard of the 2nd gear popping out issue with the genII busas so I am wondering what has changed?

Last edited:
Nevermind, I talked to someone and got the scoop.

Gen1 Busas are factory undercut 3rd through 6th gear on upshift. No undercut on 2nd gear which is why so many have that problem.

Gen2 Busas are factory undercut 2nd through 6th gear on upshift so that should eliminate a lot of the problems people had in 2nd gear on the Gen1.

The only problems seen with the Gen2 tranny are the shift fork pins flatten out even faster. Gen1 forks are a direct swap and solve this problem. Gears are the same face width with a slightly different pitch.

Factory undercut is not as precise as it could be so there is still room for improvement giving a tighter engagement.

Output shaft on the Gen2 was increased from 25mm to 27mm. Output shaft problems are very common on the Gen1's. Bad metallurgy caused them to pit up and weaken. The smaller output shaft has issues shearing off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.

I hope I don't dissapoint but we just use your engines. :beerchug:

Busa and ZX14 powered offroad cars.

Here is some in car video from one of my races.

IMG_8329.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at least your heart is in the right place!!! ...or is it that the place has the right heart? A busa heart that is!:laugh:

Welcome to the ORG!

The green one is mine and has a 14. The black one is a friends and has a busa. Another buddy has a yellow one that has the same chassis as the black one with a k8 busa that I am working on now. They all are geared down a lot more than the bikes so they run about 100-110mph or so. The green one is a race/play car and the other two are play cars. I am in NM.

Does anyone have a color wiring diagram for the k8? Or even one that is readable? I saw the one in the service manual download but it is black and white and not readable.

Back