Relocating to virginia beach

2005BlueBusa

Registered
Ok all, i'm looking for some advice. i'm from western PA (pittsburgh area) and am relocating to virginia beach/hampton roads area. I've spent a few days down there poking around at houses in norfolk/suffolk/vabeach/portsmouth areas and i gotta say, it seemed pretty urban and unsafe at times. should I be worried?

one night i thought i would take a trip to the beach... man, every single car seemed to have hydraulics, pumping ear splitting bass. is there a nicer/toned down section of virginia beach, or one that you can take a family to? i guess i'm asking where the non gang-banger section is..

another night i had to run to a grocery store in norfolk (near waterside ave.). needless to say, it was scary, i came out of the store and there were 2 men leaning on my car looking inside it. there were others running around in the parking lot screaming for whatever reason... WTF?? now, i know there's ghetto in every city, but i jumped on 664 (or 264, not sure what it was?) and it seemed like every exit i got off was the same thing... urban as hell. not really a place to raise a family and keep the busa & other toys safe.

folks have told me that chesapeake & suffolk are much nicer, but i haven't had the time to really check it out. i've also heard newport news/hampton are decent places, but the traffic is terrible over the bridges.

i'm usually not a first impression guy. i just believe it takes time to get to know something or someone, but my first impressions were really not good about the area. Can someone who lives or has lived near this area speak to my worries? where would be a good place to purchase a home or for the short term, rent an apartment?

I can't believe it's all that bad, i mean, the beach is right there!

Thanks all!

I know where you're coming from. I have a good friend from VA Beach. I would get his opinion but he's getting married in the Bahamas somewhere right now.

Last thing you want to do is move into an area that you'll soon regret. Do you have a realtor helping you out?

yeah i've got a realtor from Remax. she's doing what she can, but she's also trying to get my business
rock.gif

i'd like some opinions from someone who isn't trying to get me to buy something, if you catch my drift...

My mom and family grew up around Langley AFB and they got a house in Tabb near Yorktown . It seems pretty nice . I know what you mean about differances in areas and culture shock. I lived in Youngstown , Ohio and my daughter lives in Mercer, Pa . . What a differance when I moved out here . its so much nicer than back east ( no offense to you guys back there ) .

i live in vb. moved here in the last qtr of 99. bought 1500sq ft house for 99k. houses all around me are selling for 220k now. email me with contact info and i will call you back. i have vonage phone so the call won't cost me anything. i am in military and have no financial interest in your situation.
also, i have pinned left wrist so i avoid prolonged typing.

Also try Great Bridge Area... My dad lives there. It's just outside Chesapeake. I grew up in VA beach, but Great Bridge is a nicer Area.

Back