Reinstalling windscreen

cmeb4decay

Registered
Hey guys--I removed my windscreen to make it easier to put brake fluid in the resevoir.

AS I took it off--Two rubber bushing that looked kind of like a snowman popped out--I am having trouble getting the threads to start to tighten it back up---any suggestions?

Do I need to remove the inner cowling piece that covers that "rubber nut" up?? Thanks Bob INDY

Should be able just to lick the rubber parts shove them back in and the small screws should fit right up...they will not completely tighten........at least mine dont...they are just swelling the rubber boot to hold the shield:beerchug:

There are several posts on this topic recommend you search.

Those are pinch bushings, when you tighten the screw, those bushing expand and that's how they hold. Put the windscreen back in first, THEN push those bushing thru and tighten to recommended torque (the maintenance manual is a sticky).

When you go to push them in, insert the bolt into it but don't thread it in. Push on the bolt head, not the rubber. They will pop right in.

So I install the windscreen and that rubber grommet goes through both the upper fairing hole and the windscreen?

I have heard you can bust the upper fairing by installing it this way---NOT TRUE???

Let me know---I installed the grommets onto the windscreen and then tried to thread the bolt which it wont reach the threads--would it be easier to buy longer bolts?
Thanks

The rubber grommet goes through the upper fairing hole first and then the windscreen. I always put the windscreen in place, start the bolt in the rubber grommet, get the grommet as thin as possible, then wet it with my tongue, push it through the fairing and then windscreen and tighten. Sometimes the grommet will spin so just reach inside and hold it with your fingers. This leave the rubber edge of the grommet (the washer looking part) to protect your fairing from the bolt head rubbing.

great advice--I went to the dealership and bought 2 new grommets that were not already dimpled in the middle and they slipped right in thannks for the advice!! This forum is awesome!!!

i hate to bump this oldie...
but , do they sell these bushing in just a regular parts store?

Try Hilti. They used a similar fastener for testing of oil transformers for PCB's and they do the exact same thing. If I can find some here I will send them to you, but I gotta figure out where to look in my shop.

Lockhart Phillips Aluminum Windscreen Screw Kit - Chaparral Motorsports

you could probably contact them and they can sell just the wellnuts.

i got spinwurks spike kit for my bolts... gives it a nice touch without being too spikey...

IMG00116.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem too...really sucks! took me about an hour to get them back on...sweating and swearing throughout.

I take just the top "clip" off the inner cowling off either side, bolt through first from the outside, start the wellnut from the back.

Back