Recommended fuel/carb cleaner.

JeffSyh

Registered
I have a friend who got his dad's 96 goldwing, it sat for a bought 6 years and seems to have a stuck float on one carb. It's a pain to get the carbs out he says and the tank is clean with no rust. What do you all recommend for cleaning carbs/fuel treatment without removing? (If it's possible).

I have a friend who got his dad's 96 goldwing, it sat for a bought 6 years and seems to have a stuck float on one carb. It's a pain to get the carbs out he says and the tank is clean with no rust. What do you all recommend for cleaning carbs/fuel treatment without removing? (If it's possible).
In my opinion, if it sat for 6 yrs, the carbs should come off and be given a good rebuild and cleaning...if the carbs had any fuel in them when it was parked, that fuel has turned into varnish.

If a float is sticking there's a sign there could be other issues with the carbs.

Sometimes you can get lucky by removing the vacuum diaphragms/slides and shooting some carb cleaner down the main jet barrel but that doesn't always work well...

If there is any crap laying on the bottom of the bowls, as soon as fuel is introduced, that crap can get into jets and start clogging things up....

Sea foam is the only thing like I use like that and that's only for slightly dirty carb. With the stuck float the only right way is to pull the carbs, and since it sat so long it could be a tiny piece of deteriorated fuel line keeping it from closing or even an o rings around the seat could be causing the stuck float symptom (had that happen a few times). If he can get to the drain screw on the bowls and empty them and fill the carbs with pure sea foam and let sit a few days then drain and run with a heavy mix of sea foam and fresh fuel he might get lucky but I highly doubt it.

Back