Fuel system help

h-bus

Registered
Hello fellow Busa owners, I am in need of some advice. My Busa sat for 2 years with a full tank of fuel + stabilizer. I
recently got it running, about 1 tank of fuel in, bike is cutting
out, stalling - obviously fuel starvation. I took the tank off
and removed the fuel pump and inspected the fuel filter, the
tank has a lot of what looks like rust flakes. i removed the
sender unit and fuel screen assembly - both quite rusty. I
opened all ports on the tank and flushed the tank with garden
hose - lots of muck came out. I will clean out all neccesary
parts, but is this enough? Someone recommended that I
send the tank out to a radiator shop who will flush the tank
and then apply a sealant to the inside of the tank. Is this a good idea? one of my friends did this with an old kawasaki, and within 2 years the coating started flaking of and plugging up the fuel system. I removed and inspected the fuel filter, looks like the debris didn't go that far into the system - I think that long narrow screen assembly in the tank did a good job. i can't believe that all that debris occured within 2 years,
I couldn't ride it because of a divorce, lucky to have kept the
bike period. Sorry for the long winded post, any help would be
greatly appreciated. Oh yeah and if rubber side down is
listening, it's me Paul from Sooke.

If you're flushing junk outta the tank, I would do your best to flush it and then pickup some Kreem. It is a fuel tank liner that you mix/pour into the tank, swish it around and let harden. It will line the tank and protect it from future junk.

A buddy of mine had similar problems with his yamaha 750...Kreemed the tank and has been happy since!

Hmm....I'd try an clean out that tank real good. POR-15 is a great product...I've used it and although the process is somewhat lengthy, it's a kickass product.

Take apart your pump and throughly clean all filters and fuel passageways. Treat thje gas tank and keep an eye on that pump. If it sat for awhile, it is possible that the fuel may have deteriorated and gunked up the pump.

You may also need to replace the screens/filters and such. Also, check the condition of your plugs. I'm sure after two years they will need replacing as well.

Also check your fuel lines. It could be possible that they're weak.

Let us know what's happening and good luck!

Thanx for the responses, I have ordered, a fuel filter, petcock
assy. which includes the long screen assy in the tank, and
both fuel hoses. Upon further inspection the pump, injectors,
and supply rail all seem fine. the problem appears to be at the
screen on the petcock assy, this has a very fine mesh, I guess while the bike sat the fuel broke down or reacted with
the stabilizer and formed a large ammount of solid deposits
(looks like rust) but when It dries out you can crumble it into a fine powder between your fingers.  I was questioning how could there be that much rust formed when the bike sat in a garage for 2 years with a full tank of gas? I don't think the stuff in the tank is rust, but more likely fuel that has gone bad or reacted with the stabilizer and created a large ammount of sediment. Anyways thanx for your responses. I
have also ordered a motorcycle fuel tank repair kit from p-or.
Hopefully this will be the solution. About $300.

Fixed, thanx for the responses. I did the por-15 motorcycle
fuel tank repair, replaced the fuel tank petcock/screen assy,
fuel filter, fuel hoses. Inspected and cleaned fuel pump &
screens. One problem, I think I installed the fuel gauge
sender unit incorrectly because now the gauge won't read
above .5 tank. Happy Trails.

Back