Recommended Fork Springs?

stnick

Registered
My left fork seal is weeping and I need to upgrade springs while I'm in there.
Please give me your opinion. I'm 260lbs and ride the twisties most weekends.
Also, I'll go with OEM seals unless you know better.

Thanks,

Nick Nichols

1.0 kg should work fine...if you think you're a wanna be racer...then maybe a 1.1 kg :beerchug:

Stock is .85 kg :whistle:

For professional options try directing questions to a live person like Dave Hodges
icon2.gif
icon2.gif
GP Suspension > The Cutting Edge In Motorcycle Suspension
ABOUT.jpg

icon2.gif

+1 on the Race Tech suspension internals.

Also, when you do the forks, you're going to want to do the rear shock as well. If they're all done together, you'll get a much better ride.

--Wag--

If money is no object, IMO Ohlins is the cream of the crop but you pay for what you get. If money is an issue, I too would contact Dave Hodges at GP Suspension. I have riden both, on the street you will never know the difference and on the track you'll see only a slight difference. Give Dave a call and he will be happy to discuss your suspension needs.

I'll pile on here too....

Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia supplied me with springs (based on my weight) and a nifty little kit to do the install myself for around $200.00.

Great folks, great service and the Busa is nice and stiff up front!

**In my best Bevis and Butthead voice** 'hu,hu,hu.... he said nice and stiff'....!

Last edited:
Looks like Racetech springs and oem seals at this point in time. Thanks for the help guys and I'm going to re-spring the rear also. Someone asked what my budget was and the answer is 4-500 bucks. The way I go through tires this amount spent on suspension upgrades is a no brainer. I just put 2 Pilot Road 2's on last week and my 2nd set of EBC HH's. That was over $400. While I'm ramblin on, I remember what a true ***** it was to go one round in on the rear spring last year. That was unloaded on the rear stand and I thought something was wrong with the threads on the shock. I'm wondering how much pressure is on the stock spring since I'm going to remove and replace? Anything for me to worry about?

Nick

Using the RaceTech parts, you'll end up spending about $1,000, give or take a few $$.

I would recommend sending them in to have them done by a quality shop.

--Wag--

That was unloaded on the rear stand and I thought something was wrong with the threads on the shock. I'm wondering how much pressure is on the stock spring since I'm going to remove and replace? Anything for me to worry about?

If i read that right if you had it on the rear stand the shock was not unloaded.

If money is no object, IMO Ohlins is the cream of the crop but you pay for what you get. If money is an issue, I too would contact Dave Hodges at GP Suspension. I have ridden both, on the street you will never know the difference and on the track you'll see only a slight difference. Give Dave a call and he will be happy to discuss your suspension needs.

Thanks for your support! The last time I talked to Dave at Seattle Ducati suspension seminar, he really didn't have a lot of good to say about Racetech's OEM copied gear. It really isn't much more than mass produced DIY hardware. Usually, their spring rates are stiffer than what is actually rated, so a person could actually dial in an incorrect spec buying incorrect values.

To a guy that weighs 250lbs., that could be detrimental in a critical cornering situation and potentially dangerous.

Hey, it works for some, but for what GP Suspension.com and their collectively professional skills did for my Busa forks over the way they were before,, it was day and night transformation. I will never use any other method to tune as long as they are there.

Last edited:
Yes, the rear spring was unloaded on the rear stand. I used a long drift and hammer to achieve one full round tighter on the spring. I don't think another full round could be done w/o damaging the collar. I helped take the bike out of the crate so I know it was in it's stock setting.This setting came from one of our forum members. His weight was close to mine so I used his front and rear settings, as well as his technique to tighten the collar on the rear spring.

Using the RaceTech parts, you'll end up spending about $1,000, give or take a few $$.

I would recommend sending them in to have them done by a quality shop.

--Wag--
According to the racetech site the front 1K springs are $109 each and the rear is also $109. That's $327 plus the cost of the oem seals. How did you reach $1,000?

Nick

Back