rear brake pad draggin

outlaw06

Registered
hello.gif
I am having trouble with the rear inside pad
not retracting,I dropped the caliper and pushed it back
with a screwdriver and it retracted,but it will not retract when in use.I had the calipers powdercoated and
the seals and o-rings were replaced new and rebuilt by a
local shop,I also replaced stock pads with EBC-HH pads,and put on a set of galfer ss lines,I have rode the bike since but am noticing the rotor getting hot and traced it to the pad and piston not retracting,i bled the lines with motul racing DOT 4,and am wondering about this thermal expansion thing,does anyone know if this might be the problem or have any other ideas,i have been told that the racing fluid is bad to absourb moisture,any ideas???
Thanx for any help

No real help but I'm going through the same thing. I'm using regular DOT 4 fluid in stainless HEL lines on EBC HH pads. I had mine dissambled and painted also but I don't think that's the issue. I think mine has to do with the foot lever positioning on my stubby exhaust. Hope someone can help.

Sounds like you have a piston sticking.... Did you make double sure the powder coating was cleaned up in areas not requiring this treatment? Wouldn't take a lot to cause this condition. On the other hand I've heard of this problem before with folks using the HH pads.. With the bike on a stand and in neutral can you spin the rear wheel and have normal brake release? Or does it do as you described above?

when I put HH pads on they rubbed for the first 100mi,,there fine now,did you put the spring clamp in right,if its backwards it actually pushes the pad out

Check the retainer springs. If they are installed backward, they will cause the pads to drag.

--Wag--

Curious as to what you found out. Any updates? I definately have a piston sticking. I took the caliper off, took the pads out and pressed and released lever and only one side is sticking out. It's weird because it tries to go back in an literally gets stuck. Any ideas anybody?

Back