rear axle size's

dewie

Registered
hey fella's
does anyone know the specs between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rear axle, like I.D, O.D and size? We are just starting to build my landing gear for the bike and we are gonna run the shaft thru the hollow rear axle shaft and the very first step is picking the bike with the bigger axle so I can use a thicker shaft for the landing gear. The I.D is the measurement I really need.

Thanks again

yeah, in 2009 I was cut off on my 05 busa and ended up paralyzed from my armpits down. Landing gear comes down at intersections or at stops then lifts up when you get going. We have a great plan to make it all work but I need to know the I.D of the rear axle for each gen 1 and 2. I figured a bunch of you guys had one of each sitting in your garage. So which ever bike has the bigger axle ID then thats the one I'm gonna buy. Like I said this is the very first step to ride again.( I actually ride a Canam Spyder but thats more like a convertable than a bike)

Any body?

I see. Most sorry for your accident.
I'm mentally searching my house for a dial caliper I know I have.
If I.D simply means you would like the inside diameter measurement i'll find the caliper and stick it in my rear axle for you. I've got an 09. Gimme a bit

My Gen 2 is the same as Rollin20z, one problem you might have is that it is tapered to the smaller size not a step. So if you were planning on having that shaft rotate it might not work out so good. I think if I was in your place I would get a local machine shop to make a custom axel shaft with the same size I.D. though the whole thing.

Keep us updated on your progress!

It's actually stepped down only for the last couple inches where it was compressed for the threads. So depending on how tight your tolerances need to be you could get a piece of 7/8 rod and have the one end turned down to your 5/8" and that would be the ticket.

awesome thats what I need. From what I have seen the Gen 2 looked bigger just eye balling it tho, thanks a ton. It's been a while since I tore down my Gen 1 but I think I recall what your saying on how the ID changes. We will figure something out whether using 2 different sized rods or machining a whole new axle which wouldn't be cheap, but thanks for the heads up. Sure I'll be asking more odd ball questions like this.

Duane

Back