Raw Power

Wow! They never really hammered it and held it so I don't see how they call this a dyno run?

Wow! They never really hammered it and held it so I don't see how they call this a dyno run?

Consider the engine type though. It's made up of large diesel engines which usually don't spin much faster than a couple thousand RPM's. That's where the power is.*

*The author is neither a diesel technician nor a mechanical engineer. :laugh:

Since its a diesel , its all about low rpm torque. They wont rev much and will have a narrow power band.

I got to drive a few White Freightliners that had 8v71 motors. The rpm range was very narrow compared to today. Max rpm was supposed to be 2100 but most would crank a little more. Minimum rpm was 1900 so lots of gear shifting was required.
The rising cost of fuel was the end of the 71 series Detroit. It was replaced by the 8v92 which was much lower reving and got a little better fuel milage. While the old screaming Detroits made an awsome sound I don't ever want to return to those days.

Back in the day, I logged 638,000 miles in "less than speedy" DT466/DT466E trucks. This engine would've been a nice upgrade. :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

Yeah the large diesels don't turn more than 2000ish RPM. This is pretty badass, I'd like to have the money they tied up in just the blowers. On a diesel if you get the amount of air right they won't smoke, most "Turned up" diesels today are actually running really rich in gas engine terms. Considering they have 12 8-71 blowers on there (The blowers are actually rated by the old Detroit Diesel standards, 8 being eight cylinder engine and 71 is 71 cubic inches per cylinder. This is moving the air for 96 cylinders or a single 96-71 blower. Four times the air it's supposed to have.) then they've got more than enough air going in.

They've made progress. A short search turned this up but it's over a year old.

It's now on a really long frame.l

EDIT-Found a better article.

He said it was built for a semi truck? I"ve been in the trucking bizz for 17 years, and that thing would bank rupt you in fuel before you could get it broke in!:laugh:

Consider the engine type though. It's made up of large diesel engines which usually don't spin much faster than a couple thousand RPM's. That's where the power is.*

*The author is neither a diesel technician nor a mechanical engineer. :laugh:

Don't be stealing my techniques :laugh:

How the heck are you suppose to see around all the compressors :rofl: Sorry went German on ya, the blowers :laugh:

You see how close he is standing next to those supercharger bents with those baggy shirt and pants. That could be bad.

Back