Radar Detector Wiring... Any sparkey's out there?

Leo

Donating Member
Registered
1zhelp.gif
I want to install my Valentine1 radar detector on my new busa. Valentine gives you a direct wire adaptor with the following instructions:

1. Valentin One works only with negative ground electrical systems. Make sure you connect to "negative ground frame"

2. Select a "switched" wire, i.e., one that's off when the ignition is off, and has 12 volts when the ignition is switched on.

I have three questions:

a)Is the ALLUMINUM frame on the busa grounded? If not, is there any ground wires under the tank I can tap into? (or anywhere close to the dash where I will be mounting my Valentine)

b) Where near the dash or under tank can I find a switched hot wire?

c)Anyone else setup a Valentine1 on their busa??? Any cool Valentine1 saved your bacon stories?
tounge.gif

There is an unused switched aux brown/black pair wire on the right side behind the guage cluster. The brown wire is +12v, and the black wire is ground. The frame is ground also.

Personally, I would try hooking up to the available plug rather than trying to tie into the frame. It's just a little easier than drilling a hole in the frame or finding a bolt to use.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Personally, I would try hooking up to the available plug rather than trying to tie into the frame.  It's just a little easier than drilling a hole in the frame or finding a bolt to use.  
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Thanks for the help guys!  
beerchug.gif

Sorry for the maybe dumb obvious question... I've only had the busa for a week...Where could I find that little sucker plug at?  
rock.gif

And how do ya remove those fuggin' "fastners" without busting 'em all up?
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Leo
Reason for Edit: "cause"|1130563728 -->

That set of wires is on the right side near the turn signal. Really hard to miss because they are just sitting there. Which fasteners are you talking about?

Alright, I finally got the damn panel off and instantly saw the loose connector
smile.gif
The fastners on the top portion of the Dash Panels... I got peeved at them and just ended up just yanking them off, luckily it gave way with no damage
tounge.gif
I still would like to know the "proper" way of removing those puppies...

This is my first busa bike accessory
40__s.gif
Pics below... Thanks everyone!

Leo_Busa_001a.jpg

The fasteners at the top of the inner panel that connects to the mirror mount are removed just like the ones that connect the tail section to the rear inner fender, PUSH IN ON THE CENTER AND PULL OUT.
biggrin.gif

I mounted mine with adhesive hook-and-loop (Velcro) fastener pads to the fairing behind the instrument cluster. That way, it sits at more of an upward angle and doesn't block any of the warning lights but still can be easily removed. At the time, I wasn't aware of the available connectors behind the cluster, so I ran the wiring back to the battery and connected the wires to its terminals.

Ed

What about wiring for a 2008 busa, I really want to put my V1 in it for my beach trip next weekend. I have two power adapters, just need the switched power and ground wires.

You better get that earbud adaptor because you will not hear that thing at speed and in the sun you won't see it light up in time either. V1 charges too much for it but it does work well, giving the earliest and loudest warning possible with a good set of earbuds. BTW, get a pair of earbuds with a long wire. I have mine on a stem stand and still need a longish wire. Your placement is even farther away.

Back