Racing with wheelie bars..

busavas

Registered
Hello everyone, I finally met my 9 sec goal with street trim. Now I'm ready to basically have a dedicated drag bike. I've installed wheelie bars from pingel. They are about 2 inches off the ground, measuring from the bottom of the wheel. Bike is now slammed and I installed a front strap as well. I have a mikey thompson shoot out tire, power commander, two-step, full exhaust system and went one down with front sproket. My best pass to date with street trim has been 9.97 @ 141 with a horrible 1.72 60ft. Not bad for a guy whos only has 4000 miles of riding experience (yes, it's my first bike, and I know, everyone says I'm crazy) I'm hoping for 9.5
rock.gif
with this new setup.

My question, for those of you who know, what is a good height for the wheelie bar, and what is a good rpm launch? I'm hoping to hit the track this Friday and test it out. Two-step is set for 5000 rpm launch. I'll let you know how it goes...

Also, if you have any suggestions, PLEASE let me know. Considering a rear sprocket change and saving for an air or electric shifter.

I would put a different rear sprocket on, set the wheelie bars at about 1 1/2" from the ground and make sure they are level, and launch around 7k rpm.

I also run Pingle Wheelie bars and it sure helps with harder launches.  Once you get that perfected you can take the training wheels off as losing the weight will help your ET's.

Good luck, let me know how you do.

<!--EDIT|Husky
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128040088 -->

Buss.jpg

Hey guys... MAN!!! I could have died out there. Surely someone could have known. The bike got air born @ 140 MPH
wow.gif
, I was SCARED SH@#LESS! YOU CANT RUN FRONT LOWERING STRAPS WITH A MONO STRUT! You can have one or the other but not both. Its like riding a regular bicycle at 140 mph. The bike started bouncing at the top end then side stepping to the left & right. Oh well, now I have more experience and advice to share with others. The night sucked
sad.gif
I need a more practice and an air shifter. I'll try again next month.

what are you talking about monostrut??

I run a strap at the strip and i'm trapping in the upper 150s to low 160s and have no bouncing problems

maybe it has to do with your bar
rock.gif

I run a strap, solid strut and wheelie bars at Vegas and Colorado. Never had any such problem. I would check other issues with your bike.

A monostrut replaces the rear spring and shock assembly and in turn it makes the rear of the bike solid. The wheelie bars are attached to the rear swing arm and brackets near the passenger foot pegs, thus not allowing any movement in the rear. I had the front front so tight that there wasn't any movement, which made the bike act like one complete solid frame. When I released the tension off the front strap things improved dramatically but I was already rattled up and not enjoying the night.

<!--EDIT|busavas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128314546 -->

Who told you to set up like that ? I've never heard of doing it that way.???

I take it the bike did a tank slapper on you? I've never been a fan of straps. Especially if you run a slick, strut, and bar on the back. I've seen guys do it with other bikes and have stability issues. There was a discussion on here a while back about a guy had his busa set up that way and was complaining about the beginings of instability. I think he said he wasn't worried and was going to keep running it. My gs1100 with strut, bar, and slick is raked in the front. Thats the proper way to do it.

(--frisbee @ Oct. 01 2005,23:03) Who told you to set up like that ? I've never heard of doing it that way.???
Do you mean with the mono strut AND the strap??? The wheelie bar kit comes with the mono strut. I already had a strap. No one told me to set it up like that, I just did it not knowing there would be a problem. Now you guys can learn from me and avoid an accident.

Back